Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
This hespeler project also backs onto and overlooks a handful of factories/commercial buildings.

Cambridge is getting some big projects! 
Funny how so many are on queen street which is far from the LRT, whereas on Hespeler road we've not seen many buildings .

Is there some queen street BRT or something i don't know about. We'll have 3000+ units there and I don't think the 51 can take it.
The current 51 won't be able to handle that much (assuming a significant percentage of people will take transit) but they can increase frequency or run artics. It'll take a fairly long time for them to get to 1000+ units occupied so the GRT still has time to react.
At some point Hespeler will need more than the 51 and 203, I can see that getting reorganized in the coming years.
“City initiates plan to transform Hespeler's Milling Road into a pedestrian-friendly district”

https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...ct-4972264

Seems like a rather limited plan (with street parking, barf) but I’m happy something is happening downtown.
I'm okay with street parking. People still need to park European cities rely on street parking so they can build city blocks full of actual buildings. It's surface parking lots that are truly undesirable.
(01-20-2022, 11:14 AM)bravado Wrote: “City initiates plan to transform Hespeler's Milling Road into a pedestrian-friendly district”

https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...ct-4972264

Seems like a rather limited plan (with street parking, barf) but I’m happy something is happening downtown.

Milling Rd is a very short street and there is not much public land that the City has to work with. The majority of the plan is dealing with the land along the river from the old parks workshop to Guelph Ave. Street parking is needed as there is not much parking space on private land.

(01-20-2022, 12:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm okay with street parking. People still need to park European cities rely on street parking so they can build city blocks full of actual buildings. It's surface parking lots that are truly undesirable.

I've been (literally) walking around the university a few times this week, and my commute to the university includes Elgin St in Waterloo. There's a lot of construction at that building on Elgin and King. The tradie cars combined with the banks of snow mean that the road is basically one lane, which is kind of sketchy, especially when I'm on a bike. The furniture delivery truck was blocking another car that was trying to get through as well. Perhaps there shouldn't be on street parking while there are huge snowbanks.
Perhaps not. All levels of people (cities, region, GRT, universities, private businesses individuals etc) do a terrible job of clearing snow in this region. But until people want to pay for improved snow clearing, I think this will be what we have to put up with.
(01-20-2022, 09:16 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 12:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm okay with street parking. People still need to park European cities rely on street parking so they can build city blocks full of actual buildings. It's surface parking lots that are truly undesirable.

I've been (literally) walking around the university a few times this week, and my commute to the university includes Elgin St in Waterloo. There's a lot of construction at that building on Elgin and King. The tradie cars combined with the banks of snow mean that the road is basically one lane, which is kind of sketchy, especially when I'm on a bike. The furniture delivery truck was blocking another car that was trying to get through as well. Perhaps there shouldn't be on street parking while there are huge snowbanks.

In Kitchener, there is no overnight parking in winter. Is this not the case for Waterloo?
(01-20-2022, 09:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 09:16 PM)plam Wrote: I've been (literally) walking around the university a few times this week, and my commute to the university includes Elgin St in Waterloo. There's a lot of construction at that building on Elgin and King. The tradie cars combined with the banks of snow mean that the road is basically one lane, which is kind of sketchy, especially when I'm on a bike. The furniture delivery truck was blocking another car that was trying to get through as well. Perhaps there shouldn't be on street parking while there are huge snowbanks.

In Kitchener, there is no overnight parking in winter. Is this not the case for Waterloo?

I think they park for the day as they're there to build the new building. No idea about overnight parking though it would surprise me if there were.
(01-20-2022, 09:16 PM)plam Wrote:

I mean, this is a 1 in 10 years storm, so I don't really expect to see roads as wide as they always are.  But they also take time. Last time we had a storm like this, the city came in with snow blowers and dump trucks and moved the piles of snow even on my residential street (frankly, I preferred it narrow).

But it is also very common to have parking prohibitions during the winter on certain streets.
(01-21-2022, 09:50 AM)plam Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 09:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In Kitchener, there is no overnight parking in winter. Is this not the case for Waterloo?

I think they park for the day as they're there to build the new building. No idea about overnight parking though it would surprise me if there were.

Probably no overnight parking, and while construction crews *might* have permits to exceed this, there's also a limit of 3 hours for parking on most city streets, but as we all know, as most traffic laws are, this is not enforced.

Frankly, this is one reason that parking should be extended, but the crews should have to pay a price for monopolizing the parking.

FWIW--our parking policy is abysmal...even for drivers.

Infill project will bring more ‘attainable’ family homes to Hespeler
Cambridge heritage committee rejects Blair MZO project

Nearly two dozen residents shared their concerns, ranging from truck traffic to the visual impact of a massive warehouse in their heritage village
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »