Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
Sometimes the zoning is out of date too. There's been times where an official plan is 4 years old and the neighborhood has changed dramatically in those four years

I've also read that a lot of zoning is copy-pasted from other places. I can't imagine someone put really critical thought into each line of the zoning bylaw for each specific area around town, it was more likely applied in broad strokes across neighbourhoods that already existed. I think there's a good argument for considering every proposal regardless of zoning.
I wouldn't call an official plan that is 4 years old "out-of-date". If someone doesn't want to build within the rules, let them build somewhere else. Our cities shouldn't be seen as places where anyone with enough time, energy and money can put up a tall enough building to sell air to investors while everyone else around them suffers the consequences. If a developer can't make enough money on the land that they bought, then perhaps they paid too much for it in the first place.
But a lot can change in four years don't you think?
Coincidentally, four years is about the same period of time that it takes to conduct a full review of an official plan from start to finish. With a "Four years is a long time mentality" it's possible to drift to the "why bother?" territory.
2028...did not realize it would be that far out!

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...l-council/
what? why is this so far away?

Is that 8 years till the start of construction or operation?
I took it to mean operation.
(02-12-2020, 12:38 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: what? why is this so far away?

It's complex, but ultimately it's down to ridership numbers. Transit doesn't see as much usage in Cambridge as it does in Waterloo or Kitchener.
Not to mention, the complexity of the engineering in Phase 2 is much more daunting. The King rail separation was the biggest part of phase 1, but the sheer number of bridges and viaducts needed to cross two rivers and several railways dwarfs that considerably.
Looks like there is another proposal in Galt. 

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...n-liggett/
(10-19-2020, 07:37 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Looks like there is another proposal in Galt. 

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...n-liggett/
That's a nice looking proposal. It's tough for downtown galt though because I understand the desire to preserve its heiand feel, but am also I height geek. 

I dont see it getting approved as is but gaslight district is already taller than this so I'd like to see the get the go ahead.

It looks like a good project for the location, though I agree with the councillor on the need for more rental units rather than condos. Looking at the site on streetview, the project will be a great improvement for the area. That location has no character worth preserving as far as I can see.
(10-20-2020, 11:21 AM)Acitta Wrote: It looks like a good project for the location, though I agree with the councillor on the need for more rental units rather than condos. Looking at the site on streetview, the project will be a great improvement for the area. That location has no character worth preserving as far as I can see.
I agree, there are places I'd rather not see towers in galt but this is a good location for one
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »