Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
IN8 taking some serious heat in this thread. Maybe their fast pace seemed great but has its consequences?

Duke and Frederick Condos (Reddit Kitchener)

(04-06-2023, 03:40 PM)CuilTard Wrote: IN8 taking some serious heat in this thread. Maybe their fast pace seemed great but has its consequences?

Has anyone ever shared a positive thought about IN8?
IN8 sucks. Which sucks, because they've got 4 more skyscrapers planned and I am sure they'll be just as awful.
I just walked by tonight and wow, they have some form peeking over the ground level... I think we were all wrong on when they would be above ground
Photo 
(04-06-2023, 07:30 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I just walked by tonight and wow, they have some form peeking over the ground level... I think we were all wrong on when they would be above ground

Here's what it looks like tonight for everyone's benefit:

Manulife better get hopping on doing something with that big empty lot. I have no idea what they're waiting for; that should be a premium location to develop. Feels so weird to have this huge tower going up right across from an ocean of asphalt.
Manulife has a few newer proposals in Toronto that are head and shoulders better than anything we have here. Who knows when they plan to redevelop this lot though

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/project...urch.40515

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/to...-co.34200/

(04-12-2023, 03:18 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Manulife has a few newer proposals in Toronto that are head and shoulders better than anything we have here. Who knows when they plan to redevelop this lot though

https://urbantoronto.ca/database/project...urch.40515

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/to...-co.34200/

I used to work in 625 Church! Excited to see what is done with it because it was already beautiful
(04-12-2023, 02:45 PM)SF22 Wrote: Manulife better get hopping on doing something with that big empty lot. I have no idea what they're waiting for; that should be a premium location to develop. Feels so weird to have this huge tower going up right across from an ocean of asphalt.

Yeah seems like they've been considering it since 2017?

https://www.therecord.com/business/2017/...user-share
They've been slowly working on it...like...glacial pace kind of working on it. But they do indeed have plans for a significant project. Not sure why they're taking so long, though I would imagine it is all down to numbers for them: waiting for the most ideal time to proceed in order to maximize return. Plus over at least the last handful of years I'm sure things have changed based on everything from population growth to the pandemic impacting things.

Either way, it's prime property so you are going to see it redeveloped in a grand way at some point.
Oh yeah, this could be a prime spot for a larger grocery store (like a Food Basics or No Frills) or even a couple of big box stores - I'd like to see a downtown option for some stores that are currently only available on the fringes of town in the big shopping centres. Having a HomeSense or SportChek or Old Navy in the downtown area would potentially make people realize that it can be a shopping destination for your everyday things.

Good to hear that they're making moves in Toronto, and hopefully establishing some good practices that they'll bring here too.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if TekTower is fully built before we hear anything from Manulife about it.
(04-06-2023, 03:40 PM)CuilTard Wrote: IN8 taking some serious heat in this thread. Maybe their fast pace seemed great but has its consequences?

Wow spandrel glass film is peeling...someone is going to court.
(04-13-2023, 04:02 PM)skyrise32 Wrote:

Wow spandrel glass film is peeling...someone is going to court.

At least it's a short walk!

BTW- I walked by the site last night, wow. I think we are all wrong on our predictions when this would be above grade. There are many forms already popping above the grade level. It is like tulips in the spring sprouting through the ground.
That's a surprise!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »