Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
Should we place bets on when this pops above grade?

October...
They are going hammer and tongs on this thing. Cement pump truck onsite again today, crane is dropping more supplies. They might break ground late spring/early summer at this pace.
Agreed they are moving fast. They were pouring concrete on the same day as removing the last of that fill. Here they are tying rebar last Saturday.

I don't know the normal timeline to break ground, but bet they'll beat it.

https://imgur.com/a/FGrSNh8
Digging a hole is easy. The piles, concrete mat, anchors, walls and then the initial infrastructure (waterproofing, drainage, pipes & utility connections, wires and electrical junctions) and so on take a lot longer. It'll be a while until it goes above grade.

They're closing off the street for 5 years which is roughly average for a 44 floor skyscraper. It won't mean it will all be closed off that entire time, but it'll still take a while for this thing. Charlie West started in early-mid 2018 and it only just finished up recently (including fully opening Gaukel Street).
The permit to build hasn’t been issued yet. Only the permit for the foundation and underslab work. Although it’s been pended for a long time now

https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/portal/sfjsp
You can consider this approved though haha. Like 900 King West which was excavated down to about 1 floor...then formally "approved" a few months later. I think Elevate Condos had the same course. The ball is usually rolling over Sisyphus before it gets rolled back up for formal approval.

Did they ask for any adjustment to add floors at any point yet? Seen 1 to 2 added in a couple projects lately. Why go 44 when you can go 50 :p
In the current market, I might have thought that a height reduction would be more likely.
Photo 

Crane base is in,  sorry night time pictures while out for a walk.

Any info on how sales are going? I struggle to understand how it can be a viable project.
I read a report in the council minutes somewhere last year that said it sold out and sold out FAST
(02-02-2023, 08:58 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Any info on how sales are going?  I struggle to understand how it can be a viable project.

Generally a building has to be at least 80-90% pre-sold to begin construction. I believe they got it sold before interest rates really started rising. I heard a number of purchasers were trying to back out, but legally they were committed (and assignment sale would be at a loss).

(02-02-2023, 08:26 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
Crane base is in,  sorry night time pictures while out for a walk.

Here's one with a bit of daylight Shy

Great shot, way better than mine. Thank you. I assume you live in the near by building. Perhaps you can be our official photographer on this build for status updates ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »