Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More interesting precast panels
Literally begging anyone to build something with colour and some visual fortitude that isn't attempting to Minecraft razzledazzle the parking podium out of existence. it's so tired.

Rest assured that precast clearance sale of a building on King just north of Uptown will probably never be unseated as the worst offender.

The panelling is bad, and I can't wait for the day that architects and developers start working with the prefab concrete manufactures to actually design a coherent building. It can be done at a very similar cost. Somehow they used the exact same colours as DTK, but made it look a little nicer in my opinion.  It doesn't look good, but I also don't find it offensive to my eyes like the DTK podium.
(07-29-2024, 08:13 AM)westwardloo Wrote: The panelling is bad, and I can't wait for the day that architects and developers start working with the prefab concrete manufactures to actually design a coherent building. It can be done at a very similar cost. Somehow they used the exact same colours as DTK, but made it look a little nicer in my opinion.  It doesn't look good, but I also don't find it offensive to my eyes like the DTK podium.

I know most already agree, but as a future note for those speaking to developers in the industry:

Difference in quality and design is very noticeable already.
2 CIP buildings vs 2 Total Precast Buildings.
Can see how podiums and precast are limited by to spans/panel sizes/material finish.
Hoping someone has a better folder of comparisons...

How about this precast from Civic 66?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8276]
Here is another interesting precast design I found on my phone, this is from Finland.

(07-29-2024, 12:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Here is another interesting precast design I found on my phone, this is from Finland.

The Weber street underpass has some interesting precast as well if I recall correctly?
Sorry I am going off topic, but I think Civic 66 and Stride are two examples of acceptable total precast. Civic 66 Lacks some colour.
Id rather see total precast stick to the 4-8 storey range, patterned panels with some colour.
Save the large towers for CIP + Spandrel, otherwise its a permanent monstrosity.
These projects blend better with an old neighborhood.

Here are three more precast samples:

First, a low-rise building in Tokyo, showing the "thin brick" pattern that is pretty popular in Japan, the second one with a rougher texture. Tile-pattern precast is quite common as well, the only example I can think of locally is The Scott, which has a yellow tile pattern--I distinguish that from a brick pattern because the "tiles" are stacked in straight lines whereas the "bricks" are staggered.

Two more low-rise apartment buildings in Tokyo; the panels on the left one are nothing to write home about, but the texture on the one on the right looks pretty good.

And this one is closer to home, from the side of the new(ish) courthouse building, as seen from Scott St. Somewhat stone-ish look, but much nicer than a standard flat panel.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »