Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2980 King Street East | 32 & 12 fl | Proposed
A developer is proposing a 32 floor residential and commercial tower at 2980 King Street East, currently the site of the Charcoal Steak House.

At 32 floors, it would contain a total of 436 residential units along with 2 ground floor commercial spaces which would have a total of 692 square metres of space. 339 parking spaces are proposed. Indoor and outdoor amenity spaces for residents would be included. The architecture is by Reinders + Law.

[Image: GGEvMwc.png]

On that note, I wonder what will happen with The Radisson long term. It's a pretty old, outdated and frankly trashy hotel these days despite the renovations it underwent in I think early-mid 2023 after the homeless community was put up there and utterly wrecked the inside of the building. I can't imagine they'd knock it down, but I wonder if they'll ever sell it then just reconfigure it to be a residential building. Since this tower would require the demolition of essentially the entire parking garage on the site - shared by both the hotel and the restaurants - that immediately means the hotel would lose the majority of its parking units (sans a few surface spots around the building) which obviously impacts the hotel operations. Now while I don't have any information on their business, it never did seem to be doing well over the last 15~ years. It became rather infamous for many reasons, including hosting a clandestine child sex brothel a few years ago along with other problems like it being used by gangs and dealers, which helped seal its reputation as being not much different than the high class motel across the street.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they look into the prospect of just turning it into a cheap rental building. There's a pool in and gym, so it would have amenity spaces already and most floors are already set up as hotel rooms, meaning they've got fairly adequate plumbing and electrical conduits all throughout the building. It would be a pretty easy building to flip from dumpy hotel to rental project.
The Raddison was closed for a period of time for renovations. It’s been a Courtyard by Marriott for at least a year.
(06-08-2024, 06:54 AM)neonjoe Wrote: The Raddison was closed for a period of time for renovations. It’s been a Courtyard by Marriott for at least a year.
The reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly positive. It is labelled a 3-star hotel on Google Maps.
(06-08-2024, 11:34 AM)Acitta Wrote: The reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly positive. It is labelled a 3-star hotel on Google Maps.

A "3-star hotel" just means the hotel has certain specific amenities, without any regard for the quality of said amenities.

The Tripadvisor reviews however would support that it's currently a reasonable hotel. Also, the fact it's allowed to continue operating in the Marriott family. They have a number of standards that franchisees are required to uphold.
(06-08-2024, 03:27 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 11:34 AM)Acitta Wrote: The reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly positive. It is labelled a 3-star hotel on Google Maps.

A "3-star hotel" just means the hotel has certain specific amenities, without any regard for the quality of said amenities.

The Tripadvisor reviews however would support that it's currently a reasonable hotel. Also, the fact it's allowed to continue operating in the Marriott family. They have a number of standards that franchisees are required to uphold.

I heard they fully gutted in when they renovated on transition to a Courtyard.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »