Waterloo Region Connected
What to do with a King Mattress - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Connected Café (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: General and Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: What to do with a King Mattress (/showthread.php?tid=1646)

Pages: 1 2

What to do with a King Mattress - danbrotherston - 01-25-2022

I have a king sized mattress, boxspring, sheets, and bed, that I will not be taking with me when I move. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of it.

The mattress is clean and bug free, 8 years old, and in good condition, but even so it seems the local charities do not want it (and I can kinda understand why). Does anyone have any suggestions for donating it. I don't really care where it goes, I'd just rather it not end up in the landfill. (And it would be awesome if someone could transport it for me, but I can manage it if I have to).

(Alternatively, if anyone is interested in a king bed, or desk, or futon, please let me know in the DMs Smile

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - jeffster - 01-25-2022

(01-25-2022, 10:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a king sized mattress, boxspring, sheets, and bed, that I will not be taking with me when I move. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of it.

The mattress is clean and bug free, 8 years old, and in good condition, but even so it seems the local charities do not want it (and I can kinda understand why). Does anyone have any suggestions for donating it. I don't really care where it goes, I'd just rather it not end up in the landfill. (And it would be awesome if someone could transport it for me, but I can manage it if I have to).

(Alternatively, if anyone is interested in a king bed, or desk, or futon, please let me know in the DMs Smile

Mattresses are a hard item to get rid of, unless it's the landfill. You could try posting it for free on Kijiji or something like that. Are you moving out of DTK?

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - tomh009 - 01-25-2022

Yeah, Kijiji or freecycle.org would be the best approach, I think.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - danbrotherston - 01-25-2022

(01-25-2022, 11:27 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 10:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a king sized mattress, boxspring, sheets, and bed, that I will not be taking with me when I move. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Mattresses are a hard item to get rid of, unless it's the landfill. You could try posting it for free on Kijiji or something like that. Are you moving out of DTK?

Yeah, that's what I'm coming to realize.  Given it's not at the end of it's life, i'd be good not to go in the landfill, but if that's my only option, that's where it'll go.

I will post on Kijiji, but usually I like to ask 10-50 dollars depending on the item, to discourage both the flakey people you get with free items but more importantly, I've given a few items away for free and gotten people show up who appear to have a hoarding problem, and I don't really want to feed that. Unfortunately that does kinda make it harder to get rid of things.

I suspect there are sharing/exchange groups somewhere, but I'm not familiar with local ones (nor am I on Facebook).

Yes, we are moving, not just out of DTK, not even just out of Kitchener, for the moment we are staying in Picton, ON, but in the long term we'll be moving to the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. It's something we've been trying to do for a while now, and it seems the pieces are finally in place...well...except the COVID piece which will just not go away.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - KevinL - 01-25-2022

(01-25-2022, 12:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, we are moving, not just out of DTK, not even just out of Kitchener, for the moment we are staying in Picton, ON, but in the long term we'll be moving to the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. It's something we've been trying to do for a while now, and it seems the pieces are finally in place...well...except the COVID piece which will just not go away.

Very jealous of your Dutch move! I may do the same at some point in my life, if the stars align. All the best, and gefeliciteerd.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - JoeKW - 01-25-2022

An 8 year old mattress is definitely going to the landfill.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - aaron.thorpe - 01-25-2022

Worth a Second Look (part of The Working Centre) takes and sells mattresses and beds. They also do pick ups.

Phone number is 519-569-7566.

Hope that helps.

(01-25-2022, 01:59 PM)aaron.thorpe Wrote: Worth a Second Look (part of The Working Centre) takes and sells mattresses and beds. They also do pick ups.

Phone number is 519-569-7566.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate it, I will give them a try.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - tomh009 - 01-25-2022

(01-25-2022, 12:59 PM)JoeKW Wrote: An 8 year old mattress is definitely going to the landfill.

Our mattress is over 20 years old and still very good ...

(01-25-2022, 12:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 11:27 AM)jeffster Wrote: Are you moving out of DTK?
Yes, we are moving, not just out of DTK, not even just out of Kitchener, for the moment we are staying in Picton, ON, but in the long term we'll be moving to the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. It's something we've been trying to do for a while now, and it seems the pieces are finally in place...well...except the COVID piece which will just not go away.

Sort of a cyclers paradise that part of the world is, not usually too cold, and rarely ever too hot, and generally great topography. Congrats though, it's great you can make a move like that, especially since your kids aren't in school yet, so the transition will be pretty smooth.

(01-25-2022, 03:47 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 12:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, we are moving, not just out of DTK, not even just out of Kitchener, for the moment we are staying in Picton, ON, but in the long term we'll be moving to the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. It's something we've been trying to do for a while now, and it seems the pieces are finally in place...well...except the COVID piece which will just not go away.

Sort of a cyclers paradise that part of the world is, not usually too cold, and rarely ever too hot, and generally great topography. Congrats though, it's great you can make a move like that, especially since your kids aren't in school yet, so the transition will be pretty smooth.

Thanks, I appreciate that.  It is a great place for cycling, but it's erm...not just bikes...so to speak. The urban design of the cities and towns is much better. That (and infrastructure) is what enables cycling to the degree they have, and it's what makes the cities so much more livable, and I hope, a great place to raise children.  Five years ago, I'd have been toting protected bike lanes as the only reason for going, but biking is just a gateway drug to urban design and livable cities.

Yeah, hopefully the transition will be smooth, certainly no rockier than the last two years have been I hope.

(01-25-2022, 03:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 03:47 PM)jeffster Wrote: Sort of a cyclers paradise that part of the world is, not usually too cold, and rarely ever too hot, and generally great topography. Congrats though, it's great you can make a move like that, especially since your kids aren't in school yet, so the transition will be pretty smooth.

Thanks, I appreciate that.  It is a great place for cycling, but it's erm...not just bikes...so to speak. The urban design of the cities and towns is much better. That (and infrastructure) is what enables cycling to the degree they have, and it's what makes the cities so much more livable, and I hope, a great place to raise children.  Five years ago, I'd have been toting protected bike lanes as the only reason for going, but biking is just a gateway drug to urban design and livable cities.

Yeah, hopefully the transition will be smooth, certainly no rockier than the last two years have been I hope.

It's an area with a lot of history, which helps it a lot more than around here. Compared to cities in the Netherlands, we're just starting out. Amsterdam has been around for more than 700 years, for example, with a solid population for the last 400 years.

Either way, great place to pick. I know you'll love it.

I know we don't agree with everything, but I have to be a little bit jealous with your choice (if I could, I'd go there too)...so again, congrats.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - Acitta - 01-25-2022

Old Mattress Recycling & Disposal Services

(01-25-2022, 04:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 03:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Thanks, I appreciate that.  It is a great place for cycling, but it's erm...not just bikes...so to speak. The urban design of the cities and towns is much better. That (and infrastructure) is what enables cycling to the degree they have, and it's what makes the cities so much more livable, and I hope, a great place to raise children.  Five years ago, I'd have been toting protected bike lanes as the only reason for going, but biking is just a gateway drug to urban design and livable cities.

It's an area with a lot of history, which helps it a lot more than around here. Compared to cities in the Netherlands, we're just starting out. Amsterdam has been around for more than 700 years, for example, with a solid population for the last 400 years.

I know we don't agree with everything, but I have to be a little bit jealous with your choice (if I could, I'd go there too)...so again, congrats.

While this is definitely true, it is also the case that there are also cities and suburbs in the Netherlands which were built a century after cities in Canada. For example, the cities of Lelystad and Almere are both on land reclaimed in the 50s (give or take a decade), and the suburb we are looking at right now was built in the last 10 years.

In these cases as well, the developments are vastly more walkable and livable than here. It's amazing and frustrating how badly designed even our new developments continue to be.

Not that we want to do any more sprawl, and we can do lots of infill and "repairs" on our existing communities, but I have absolutely no idea how to approach solving our planning limitations.

That being said, thanks for confidence. We don't always agree, but I feel this is always a place where we can discuss serious issues.

RE: What to do with a King Mattress - plam - 01-25-2022

(01-25-2022, 12:59 PM)JoeKW Wrote: An 8 year old mattress is definitely going to the landfill.

Can't remember if Thrift on Kent has used mattresses but we definitely saw used mattresses on sale in New Zealand (where used things aren't necessarily as cheap as one might expect). At one point we had 3 mattresses: one borrowed, one new, one a mattress-in-a-box return (which we then resold, at cost I think).

(01-25-2022, 04:12 PM)jeffster Wrote: It's an area with a lot of history, which helps it a lot more than around here. Compared to cities in the Netherlands, we're just starting out. Amsterdam has been around for more than 700 years, for example, with a solid population for the last 400 years.

And yet Amsterdam was pretty car-choked in the 70s as well. Have you seen the pictures?

Also this thread is sort of useful to me. I have some things which I'd like to get rid of, like a desk that we don't use anymore.