Waterloo Region Connected
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Arts and Culture (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=564)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - Lens - 07-09-2020

Anyone else sick of corten steel? IMO that whole empty stretch along Weber should be made into a linear park but it's regional land so nothing will ever happen (see Civic Center Park)

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 07:37 PM)Lens Wrote: Anyone else sick of corten steel? IMO that whole empty stretch along Weber should be made into a linear park but it's regional land so nothing will ever happen (see Civic Center Park)
City of Kitchener public art on Region of Waterloo land?

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - nms - 07-09-2020

There is something tall and twisty wrapped in black plastic in front of Circa 1877.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - BruceAshe - 07-12-2020

Aporia is being restored this week. I was honestly worried that when the police station moves into the building, they would get rid of it so I'm happy to see it getting restored. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/a-long-standing-sculpture-in-downtown-kitchener-is-about-to-get-a-facelift-1.5020727

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-12-2020

Interesting. I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration. I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak. Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

By the way, all these years and this is the first time I've noticed how much the centre part of the sculpture looks like a butt! Smile

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 07-12-2020

(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: By the way, all these years and this is the first time I've noticed how much the centre part of the sculpture looks like a butt!  Smile

The hoarding breaks the visual link between the centre part and the two ends, thus hiding its actual form, which is that of a dog turd. Tongue

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-12-2020

I love the way that, even forty years after its installation, Aporia can still generate reactions.  Exactly as modern art is meant to do, no?

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 07-21-2020

(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration.  I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak.  Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

Contrary to the reports on CTV, no restoration work happened last week, so I was still able to get some "before" shots on Sunday evening.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-21-2020

Hope someone will post some good pics of the monkey tower in front of Circa 1877.

I see in the news that the monument to the homeless is still going forward. Not sure if a location has been selected for that one.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-27-2020

(07-21-2020, 08:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration.  I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak.  Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

Contrary to the reports on CTV, no restoration work happened last week, so I was still able to get some "before" shots on Sunday evening.

The restoration is now underway.  The sculpture should look brand new (I.e. shiny a bright red) when the work is finished this week.  I haven’t seen any details of how the restoration is being done - some sort of acrylic finish or just a coat of paint, or something else.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 07-27-2020

I believe this is a primer coat. Some sanding appears to have been done prior to applying the primer.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 07-31-2020

No longer primer. And clearly it's orange, not red.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-31-2020

Oooh, shiny! If memory serves it was originally a slighly orangey red, but that looks much more orange. I wonder if the artist was involved in the restoration?

It will certainly be hard to miss .... I hope it doesn't attract the wrong sort of attention.

I can't say I understand it, but I am kinda fond of it.

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 08-09-2020

Aporia, born again!

RE: Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 08-09-2020

Love it! Smile