Waterloo Region Connected
The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=1378)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - kitborn - 05-28-2020

The dental buidling is being reclad. I think with stucco.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-25-2020

The balcony cladding and railings are in, as is most of the balcony glass.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 08-25-2020

It's nothing amazing but it's not really terrible either so I suppose itll do

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 08-25-2020

I would take building like this as infill projects all day. I like the look. Not a huge fan of the balcony railings. I think they probably should have gone with black guards to match the windows. Funny enough a developer is planning on building this exact building in Sarnia. I say it over on another population building forum.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 08-25-2020

(08-25-2020, 11:46 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I would take building like this as infill projects all day. I like the look. Not a huge fan of the balcony railings. I think they probably should have gone with black guards to match the windows. Funny enough a developer is planning on building this exact building in Sarnia. I say it over on another population building forum.
I had to check and you’re right, it’s an identical building.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-25-2020

(08-25-2020, 11:46 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I would take building like this as infill projects all day. I like the look. Not a huge fan of the balcony railings. I think they probably should have gone with black guards to match the windows. Funny enough a developer is planning on building this exact building in Sarnia. I say it over on another population building forum.

The white trim makes it look a bit different from the many very-black buildings so I'm quite happy with that, to see something different (and not just a combover trim at the top). I would have personally used tinted glass for the balconies, to hide people's stuff, but I can see why they decided on clear.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - jeffster - 08-25-2020

(08-25-2020, 10:06 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The balcony cladding and railings are in, as is most of the balcony glass.

When you drive by, up close, it looks really good. It seems to draw on our history of yellow bricking you find throughout the city.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 08-27-2020

I do like it.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - Spokes - 09-02-2020

I think this is an extremely underrated project for downtown

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 09-02-2020

Meh. The best I could muster would be "could have been worse".

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 09-02-2020

To each their own I guess. But this is a great addition to downtown. Ideally Weber from Lancaster to Victoria would have this type of buildings built along it. It's mixed use, its has decent height, its design has been thought out quite well, It doesn't have a hideous parking podium (The Regency), its not spandrel panel mess and most importantly it is not an EIFS monster. It could be worse yes, but it could be a lot worse which I believe means this is a successfully addition to downtown.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - CedarHillAlum - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 10:00 AM)westwardloo Wrote: To each their own I guess. But this is a great addition to downtown. Ideally Weber from Lancaster to Victoria would have this type of buildings built along it. It's mixed use, its has decent height, its design has been thought out quite well, It doesn't have a hideous parking podium (The Regency), its not spandrel panel mess and most importantly it is not an EIFS monster. It could be worse yes, but it could be a lot worse which I believe means this is a successfully addition to downtown.
Great post. I especially like how you provided several solid reasons why this is a great addition to downtown.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - ac3r - 09-03-2020

It's modest, but I like it. The colours aren't my favourite but the building looks to be of an alright quality. It's a nice mid-rise and in a good location. The one going up across the street will really make this area feel filled in. The building going up at Frederick and Lancaster which is nearby should bring up the foot traffic around this part of downtown.

This area is so close to the KW Art Gallery, Centre in the Square and KPL Art Gallery it'd be a pretty nice area for artists/the arts if there was more affordable places to live. With so many good restaurants, community centered shops and the market it would be perfect to have a kind of alternative/artsy area of the city, kind of like a Kensington Market. Old, gritty but lively.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 09-04-2020

Plus the two projects on Margaret, one condo and one rental.

There are a number of rental apartment buildings in the area, but the SFH prices are not exactly affordable.

RE: 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St | 11 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 09-04-2020

(09-03-2020, 12:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's modest, but I like it. The colours aren't my favourite but the building looks to be of an alright quality. It's a nice mid-rise and in a good location. The one going up across the street will really make this area feel filled in. The building going up at Frederick and Lancaster which is nearby should bring up the foot traffic around this part of downtown.

This area is so close to the KW Art Gallery, Centre in the Square and KPL Art Gallery it'd be a pretty nice area for artists/the arts if there was more affordable places to live. With so many good restaurants, community centered shops and the market it would be perfect to have a kind of alternative/artsy area of the city, kind of like a Kensington Market. Old, gritty but lively.

There used to be many houses in that general area converted to multiple apartments that were fairly affordable, back in the day.  Are they now gone/expensive?