Waterloo Region Connected
The Boathouse - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: The Boathouse (/showthread.php?tid=114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The Boathouse - panamaniac - 10-27-2022

When I look at that render I have to wonder whether making the addition on the east side so different from the rest of the building is better than just extending the existing roof out over an addition built to mimic the existing building? I gather that heritage purists prefer the former, but I'm not convinced in this case.

RE: The Boathouse - nms - 10-27-2022

There are generally three ways to add an addition to a building:
1. Make it look the same so you can't really tell the difference (eg Toronto's Royal York Hotel was built in two parts)
2. Make it look different (eg Toronto's ROM and the Crystal)
3. Make it a hybrid (eg The Seagram Barrelhouse and the Seagram Museum addition beside it)

I suspect that the Heritage Committee got involved because the structure is in Victoria Park and/or the Victoria Park Heritage District.

In an interesting side note, the existing boathouse, while first built in 1929, received its current roof profile in 1967 following a fire that gutted the second floor.  rych mills, in his "Flash from the Past" column, described the current roof as, "a quite hideous '60s-style roof"  I would wonder whether the new operating group could pitch adding the second story back to add a private dining room(s) and/or green room for bands??  But it might require an accessible lift. Perhaps the City could go splits on that cost?

RE: The Boathouse - danbrotherston - 10-28-2022

(10-27-2022, 05:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This!

Here's a challenge, if you don't already know, which of these is the kitschy copy of a historic train station and which one is the actual Waterloo train station?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642778,-80.5208597,3a,27.1y,24.29h,91.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0M8mi7xN7Ia2h0y3IU4Z2A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642686,-80.5272923,3a,34.9y,46.96h,92.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s55xBkSSbxZ7QBbNoJoMSMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I mean, you can probably tell, but it'll be based on the materials and not because one looks wrong.

Relevance?

I dunno...if you cannot tell the difference between a heritage building and a non-heritage building then...what does heritage even mean. If the building doesn't have a significance to the cultural history of the community other than just being built in an older style, then why preserve it.

RE: The Boathouse - clasher - 10-28-2022

That looks like a pretty expensive renovation... I'm really skeptical that it'll be a successful restaurant or a successful music venue, if they're still going for that. I was a regular before it closed in 2013, but only went once or twice during the years it was running under new management.

The pond is still kind of stinky sometimes and it's not all that nice to look at up close; floating goose turds and garbage washed down after storms...

RE: The Boathouse - Rainrider22 - 10-28-2022

It is interesting to see peoples perspective. I frequented the boathouse often. I really enjoyed sitting on the Muskoka chair on a sunny afternoon sipping on a local IPA. I never once saw what you saw. I saw a beautiful urban park that is what I would call a jewel to any city. I always saw people of all walks of life enjoying the trails, having picnics, playing soccer, playing chess or checkers, mothers pushing their young kids strollers, the sound of the wind blowing through the willow trees rustling the leaves, the fragrance of the flowers in flower beds and sometimes a person yelling to themselves.... Again, I said an urban park... My point is that while what you describe is your experiences, many of us have other experiences. So I am not skeptical and I am in fact hopeful that the group is able to move forward with their plans.

RE: The Boathouse - Joedelay Highhoe - 10-28-2022

I've always been a big fan of the BoHo patio. You don't get that "sunset over water" vibe anywhere else near downtown. I seriously doubt it will ever be a financially successful restaurant or music venue, but it's still a great place to sit and chill and enjoy the scenery.

RE: The Boathouse - panamaniac - 10-28-2022

(10-27-2022, 11:57 PM)nms Wrote: There are generally three ways to add an addition to a building:
1. Make it look the same so you can't really tell the difference (eg Toronto's Royal York Hotel was built in two parts)
2. Make it look different (eg Toronto's ROM and the Crystal)
3. Make it a hybrid (eg The Seagram Barrelhouse and the Seagram Museum addition beside it)

I suspect that the Heritage Committee got involved because the structure is in Victoria Park and/or the Victoria Park Heritage District.

In an interesting side note, the existing boathouse, while first built in 1929, received its current roof profile in 1967 following a fire that gutted the second floor.  rych mills, in his "Flash from the Past" column, described the current roof as, "a quite hideous '60s-style roof"  I would wonder whether the new operating group could pitch adding the second story back to add a private dining room(s) and/or green room for bands??  But it might require an accessible lift. Perhaps the City could go splits on that cost?

(10-28-2022, 07:42 AM)clasher Wrote: That looks like a pretty expensive renovation... I'm really skeptical that it'll be a successful restaurant or a successful music venue, if they're still going for that. I was a regular before it closed in 2013, but only went once or twice during the years it was running under new management.

The pond is still kind of stinky sometimes and it's not all that nice to look at up close; floating goose turds and garbage washed down after storms...

(10-28-2022, 08:42 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It is interesting to see peoples perspective.  I frequented the boathouse often.  I really enjoyed sitting on the Muskoka chair on a sunny afternoon sipping on a local IPA.  I never once saw what you saw.  I saw a beautiful urban park that is what I would call a jewel to any city.  I always saw people of all walks of life enjoying the trails, having picnics, playing soccer, playing chess or checkers, mothers pushing their young kids strollers, the sound of the wind blowing through the willow trees rustling the leaves, the fragrance of the flowers in flower beds and sometimes a person yelling to themselves....  Again, I said an urban park...  My point is that while what you describe is your experiences, many of us have other experiences. So I am not skeptical and I am in fact hopeful that the group is able to move forward with their plans.

I'm with you - when it was open, the patio was THE spot for a cold one in DTK.  Every good urban park needs a cafe/patio/restaurant in in imo.

That (Bali-style?) roof would have been quite stylish in the 60's.  I seem to recall that the original pitched roof had some dormers, but I don't recall it being a two storey building.

RE: The Boathouse - nms - 10-28-2022

Apparently, the second storey included dressing rooms for the Kitchener football (soccer?) team that would have played across Park St (now Jubilee Drive).

(10-28-2022, 09:22 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm with you - when it was open, the patio was THE spot for a cold one in DTK.  Every good urban park needs a cafe/patio/restaurant in in imo.

That (Bali-style?) roof would have been quite stylish in the 60's.  I seem to recall that the original pitched roof had some dormers, but I don't recall it being a two storey building.

Apparently, the second storey included dressing rooms for the Kitchener football (soccer?) team that would have played across Park St (now Jubilee Drive).

RE: The Boathouse - dtkmelissa - 10-31-2022

(10-27-2022, 07:52 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 06:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CTV has renders of the proposal online, if anyone cares to post them.  The added washroom is probably essential, but looks like the weak bit of the proposal in terms of appearance.

I'm curious...was there not some general uproar (or at least, discussion) around the paved path near the current Boathouse that goes between the Boathouse and the shoreline? I thought some folks were upset that the Boathouse would essentially cut off access to the shoreline of the lake so they came up with some compromise that created a path along the shoreline, but it could be gated closed if needed. Or am I not remembering that right? I don't see such a path in these renderings so I was just curious.

RE: The Boathouse - dtkmelissa - 10-31-2022

(10-31-2022, 07:14 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: I'm curious...was there not some general uproar (or at least, discussion) around the paved path near the current Boathouse that goes between the Boathouse and the shoreline? I thought some folks were upset that the Boathouse would essentially cut off access to the shoreline of the lake so they came up with some compromise that created a path along the shoreline, but it could be gated closed if needed. Or am I not remembering that right? I don't see such a path in these renderings so I was just curious.

Oh, here's an article referencing it in 2012. "The operator of The Boathouse in Victoria Park says he feels insulted and frustrated by city council’s decision to build an asphalt pathway along the shore that separates the patio from the water.

Kevin Doyle, the operator of the popular live-music venue, watched from the public gallery early Tuesday morning as city councillors voted 6-4 in favour of having a water-side pathway between the pond and the patio." https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2012/02/07/walkway-and-washrooms-approved-in-victoria-park-and-the-boathouse-plans.html

Kevin Doyle, the operator of the popular live-music venue, watched from the public gallery early Tuesday morning as city councillors voted 6-4 in favour of having a water-side pathway between the pond and the patio.

RE: The Boathouse - tomh009 - 10-31-2022

A nice find, Melissa! I wonder whether that would still be a concern. It seems to me that there is no shortage of shoreline on the lake, so an extended patio would not be terrible. And while it would be private commercial property, I do think many city residents would enjoy dining or having a drink on such a patio as well.

RE: The Boathouse - Spokes - 11-01-2022

(10-31-2022, 08:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A nice find, Melissa! I wonder whether that would still be a concern. It seems to me that there is no shortage of shoreline on the lake, so an extended patio would not be terrible. And while it would be private commercial property, I do think many city residents would enjoy dining or having a drink on such a patio as well.

This was always my thought.

I hope this is successful and is a big draw to Victoria Park

RE: The Boathouse - dtkmelissa - 11-01-2022

(10-31-2022, 08:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A nice find, Melissa! I wonder whether that would still be a concern. It seems to me that there is no shortage of shoreline on the lake, so an extended patio would not be terrible. And while it would be private commercial property, I do think many city residents would enjoy dining or having a drink on such a patio as well.

I agree. I think an extended patio would be lovely. I also wonder if people might be able to see that benefit even more, having had access with the paved path along the shoreline and it not being used much (in my experience).

RE: The Boathouse - Joedelay Highhoe - 11-01-2022

It would be really cool to create some kind of pop-up summer beer garden type of thing in the park. More locations and venues would draw in more people. You'd just need a food truck or even a sea-can, some fencing and some seating.

RE: The Boathouse - tomh009 - 11-01-2022

Even nicer without the fencing ... but this is Ontario!