Waterloo Region Connected
King-Victoria Transit Hub - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: King-Victoria Transit Hub (/showthread.php?tid=15)

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - ijmorlan - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 09:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: A big announcement today:

Where is the image from? Not the linked article, as far as I can tell.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - panamaniac - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 12:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 09:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: A big announcement today:

Where is the image from? Not the linked article, as far as I can tell.

The linked image was changed.  I think Kitchener Today realized the original image conveyed an inaccurate impression of what might be announced.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - Canard - 12-17-2018

So the announcement is something for the transit hub, and not transportation itself?

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - Momo26 - 12-17-2018

Interesting diagram nonetheless! I like the overpass over King St integrating the LRT. It looks like it'll almost invariably connect straight into the Sixo condos project across the street too.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - timio - 12-17-2018

Cynical me suggests taking credit for the $43 million promised by the Liberals for the Hub wouldn't be beneath the PC's, but maybe it's something useful.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - NotStan - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 01:37 PM)timio Wrote: Cynical me suggests taking credit for the $43 million promised by the Liberals for the Hub wouldn't be beneath the PC's, but maybe it's something useful.

Well I certainly would give credit to whoever gave me something rather than to someone who just said they would.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - Momo26 - 12-17-2018

Are we (Kitchener) getting said $43 millionsss?

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - Canard - 12-17-2018

Today's announcement had nothing to do with the Transit Hub.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - KevinL - 12-17-2018

Yeah, the Kitchener Post seems to have made a mistaken assumption by putting a picture of it on their story for that.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - rangersfan - 03-19-2019

The Region is going to take on the transit portion of the project. I feel doing things this way the transit elements likely won't be as integrated into the larger project but we may have something sooner.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9230107-region-taking-on-construction-of-transit-terminal-portion-of-hub-in-downtown-kitchener/

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - danbrotherston - 03-19-2019

(03-19-2019, 09:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: The Region is going to take on the transit portion of the project. I feel doing things this way the transit elements likely won't be as integrated into the larger project but we may have something sooner.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9230107-region-taking-on-construction-of-transit-terminal-portion-of-hub-in-downtown-kitchener/

I noticed this.  I wonder what this failure of the private partnership suggests for the future GO plans of "make a private developer build all our transit stations".

My speculation: Either we're going to end up dangling a much bigger carrot (i.e., I think we're going to get ripped off) or we just straight up won't get any new GO stations.

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - nms - 03-20-2019

Either way, the construction will still take less time than the Union Station upgrades... :-)

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - Spokes - 03-20-2019

It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on the final design of the hub when it's all said and done. I'm thinking less grand than I originally envisioned

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - REnerd - 03-20-2019

(03-20-2019, 06:52 AM)Spokes Wrote: It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on the final design of the hub when it's all said and done.  I'm thinking less grand than I originally envisioned

The public sector actually has a history of 'grand' projects.  The private sector on the other hand, not so much.

Calgary library is a really good recent example.

Respectfully, I hope you are wrong Smile

RE: King-Victoria Transit Hub - jamincan - 03-20-2019

There are loads of ways they could accomplish this. For example, build the train station, but make the bus facilities a bit more temporary so that any future development could incorporate bus facilities, but not necessarily the existing ones. Alternately, and I actually think possibly preferably, just build an awesome facility solely focused on transportation. Loads of cities do just that with no problems and they can be key public spaces that really define the entrance to a city. We don't need skyscrapers on every corner. In some ways, we'd be better served redeveloping along Victoria toward the existing VIA station and spreading some of the growth further off King Street.