Waterloo Region Connected
Road design, safety and Vision Zero - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Road design, safety and Vision Zero (/showthread.php?tid=1409)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - danbrotherston - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 12:47 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 11:41 AM)Acitta Wrote: You could have taken the #40 GO bus from the airport to Square One and the #25 GO bus from there to Kitchener. Not as good as taking the UP Express to the GO train, but it is wrong to say that there is no transit from Toronto to KW on the weekend.

Airways Transit probably still operates but when I was travelling with 2 big bags and 2 small bags yesterday I used Waterloo Taxi ($130 plus [sigh] tip). The GO combination would have taken 2h15, which is fine in some situations, but I figured that after 24 hours of travel it would be nice to not be on the bus for an extra hour. Taxis should be able to accommodate that amount of stuff. Perhaps a minivan taxi.

Taxi's do, certainly a minivan, but while it might be legal, I'm not comfortable having a taxi driver drive my toddler up the 401 with no car seat.

As an aside, last time I took a taxi from the airport....before the UP...the driver started operating all their electronic equipment in the middle of the 427....and while I would have liked to have gotten out of the vehicle immediately I figured a distracted driver was better than standing in the middle of a 12 lane expressway. I did not tip.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - plam - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 12:47 PM)plam Wrote: Airways Transit probably still operates but when I was travelling with 2 big bags and 2 small bags yesterday I used Waterloo Taxi ($130 plus [sigh] tip). The GO combination would have taken 2h15, which is fine in some situations, but I figured that after 24 hours of travel it would be nice to not be on the bus for an extra hour. Taxis should be able to accommodate that amount of stuff. Perhaps a minivan taxi.

Taxi's do, certainly a minivan, but while it might be legal, I'm not comfortable having a taxi driver drive my toddler up the 401 with no car seat.

As an aside, last time I took a taxi from the airport....before the UP...the driver started operating all their electronic equipment in the middle of the 427....and while I would have liked to have gotten out of the vehicle immediately I figured a distracted driver was better than standing in the middle of a 12 lane expressway. I did not tip.

I see that taxi drivers are exempt from the car-seat law, though at least Aeroport Taxi does provide them. The whole car seat thing makes cars more complicated, though maybe cars should be complicated in general. It sort of is unfortunate in that it makes non-owned cars in particular more complicated.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - danbrotherston - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 05:58 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Taxi's do, certainly a minivan, but while it might be legal, I'm not comfortable having a taxi driver drive my toddler up the 401 with no car seat.

I see that taxi drivers are exempt from the car-seat law, though at least Aeroport Taxi does provide them. The whole car seat thing makes cars more complicated, though maybe cars should be complicated in general. It sort of is unfortunate in that it makes non-owned cars in particular more complicated.

Agreed on all points. And yeah I do know it’s legal and we’ve done it for short trips but I didn’t want to risk it for 90 minutes on the 401.

It definitely does complicate things. We had this issue arriving in NL. Tessa’s coworkers drove us. There was a booster seat for Carrie but I haven’t the slightest idea if it met local regulations for a 2 year old.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - ijmorlan - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 05:58 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Taxi's do, certainly a minivan, but while it might be legal, I'm not comfortable having a taxi driver drive my toddler up the 401 with no car seat.

There is a lot about modern life that makes kids more complicated, just to turn it around a bit. And small vehicles are a significant part of that. Public transit and active transportation are inherently much more kid-friendly. Although vehicles (again) lead to active transportation being another problem for kids where proper infrastructure is not provided.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - tomh009 - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 12:47 PM)plam Wrote: Airways Transit probably still operates but when I was travelling with 2 big bags and 2 small bags yesterday I used Waterloo Taxi ($130 plus [sigh] tip). The GO combination would have taken 2h15, which is fine in some situations, but I figured that after 24 hours of travel it would be nice to not be on the bus for an extra hour. Taxis should be able to accommodate that amount of stuff. Perhaps a minivan taxi.

Airways Transit stopped doing the pooled rides when COVID hit and they have not resumed. Their return trip is quoted at $370 with HST in; I believe that's more than Waterloo Blackcar charges -- and significantly more than Waterloo Taxi does. Their vehicles do have higher capacity but most people don't need that much.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - danbrotherston - 01-09-2023

(01-08-2023, 07:57 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 05:58 PM)plam Wrote: I see that taxi drivers are exempt from the car-seat law, though at least Aeroport Taxi does provide them. The whole car seat thing makes cars more complicated, though maybe cars should be complicated in general. It sort of is unfortunate in that it makes non-owned cars in particular more complicated.

There is a lot about modern life that makes kids more complicated, just to turn it around a bit. And small vehicles are a significant part of that. Public transit and active transportation are inherently much more kid-friendly. Although vehicles (again) lead to active transportation being another problem for kids where proper infrastructure is not provided.

You are right about that...I've never been so frustrated to see an elevator out of service as coming off an 8 hour flight, hour train ride, and now have to haul a stroller up a flight of stairs, but it's still easier than trying to sort out vehicles.

I'm curious what you mean by "small" vehicles? Certainly if you have a large number of children you'll need a vehicle with more capacity (minivans are great for this...carry more passengers than the gargantuan pickup trucks most are choosing to drive...many of them haul more too), but we *shouldn't* need large cars for 1-3 children. FWIW...we DO need a larger vehicle for children because our car seats are comically and inconveniently large. The car seat that Tessa's coworker had was....I kid you not...half the size of the one we have in Canada.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - ijmorlan - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 08:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 07:57 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: There is a lot about modern life that makes kids more complicated, just to turn it around a bit. And small vehicles are a significant part of that. Public transit and active transportation are inherently much more kid-friendly. Although vehicles (again) lead to active transportation being another problem for kids where proper infrastructure is not provided.

You are right about that...I've never been so frustrated to see an elevator out of service as coming off an 8 hour flight, hour train ride, and now have to haul a stroller up a flight of stairs, but it's still easier than trying to sort out vehicles.

I'm curious what you mean by "small" vehicles? Certainly if you have a large number of children you'll need a vehicle with more capacity (minivans are great for this...carry more passengers than the gargantuan pickup trucks most are choosing to drive...many of them haul more too), but we *shouldn't* need large cars for 1-3 children. FWIW...we DO need a larger vehicle for children because our car seats are comically and inconveniently large. The car seat that Tessa's coworker had was....I kid you not...half the size of the one we have in Canada.

I mean personal vehicles. What I’m saying is that car dependence (of the city) makes things more difficult for people with kids, especially people with lots of kids: you need to have enough car seats for the little ones, and enough seats for everybody. If the whole family is walking somewhere, it doesn’t really matter how many there are or what age. The same is true on public transit (which in many ways is really just supercharged walking). But as soon as you drive somewhere in your own or a rented vehicle, you have additional logistics to consider.

This doesn’t mean I’m promoting a return to the days of 10-child families (and infant mortality and all the other ills that we have worked to reduce), just observing that cars work worse for families with kids than they do for singles and couples. It’s not that you can’t get a family vehicle — minivans are great! — but even if you have the necessary capacity you still have to deal with carseats.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - Acitta - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 09:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 08:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: You are right about that...I've never been so frustrated to see an elevator out of service as coming off an 8 hour flight, hour train ride, and now have to haul a stroller up a flight of stairs, but it's still easier than trying to sort out vehicles.

I mean personal vehicles. What I’m saying is that car dependence (of the city) makes things more difficult for people with kids, especially people with lots of kids: you need to have enough car seats for the little ones, and enough seats for everybody. If the whole family is walking somewhere, it doesn’t really matter how many there are or what age. The same is true on public transit (which in many ways is really just supercharged walking). But as soon as you drive somewhere in your own or a rented vehicle, you have additional logistics to consider.

This doesn’t mean I’m promoting a return to the days of 10-child families (and infant mortality and all the other ills that we have worked to reduce), just observing that cars work worse for families with kids than they do for singles and couples. It’s not that you can’t get a family vehicle — minivans are great! — but even if you have the necessary capacity you still have to deal with carseats.

I see people hauling their kids around with electric cargo bikes, so you don't always need a car if you have kids.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - plam - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 03:48 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 09:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I mean personal vehicles. What I’m saying is that car dependence (of the city) makes things more difficult for people with kids, especially people with lots of kids: you need to have enough car seats for the little ones, and enough seats for everybody. If the whole family is walking somewhere, it doesn’t really matter how many there are or what age. The same is true on public transit (which in many ways is really just supercharged walking). But as soon as you drive somewhere in your own or a rented vehicle, you have additional logistics to consider.

I see people hauling their kids around with electric cargo bikes, so you don't always need a car if you have kids.

It is certainly possible but there is a lot of social pressure to have a huge car. Like, I'd do the cargo bike, and in some countries everyone does it, but Canada is not such a country. It does help for cars to be less convenient and for bicycles to be perceived as safer (infrastructure and road design!)

Cars are actually not that convenient for many things, but they're perceived as being convenient. Go figure. Certainly walking and transit can be more convenient if the systems are running properly.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - tomh009 - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 05:11 PM)plam Wrote: It is certainly possible but there is a lot of social pressure to have a huge car.

Really? My personal observations (nb anecdotal evidence only!) suggest that people (with money to buy new/newish cars) will buy the kind of vehicles they like. Some people like SUVs/crossovers, some like compact hatchbacks, some bigger sedans, others pickup trucks and yet others minivans. Of course some people will want to have more expensive cars to show off, but I don't think that's necessarily correlated with size. (Full disclosure: we own a hatchback.)

Or am I missing something?

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - danbrotherston - 01-10-2023

(01-09-2023, 06:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 05:11 PM)plam Wrote: It is certainly possible but there is a lot of social pressure to have a huge car.

Really? My personal observations (nb anecdotal evidence only!) suggest that people (with money to buy new/newish cars) will buy the kind of vehicles they like. Some people like SUVs/crossovers, some like compact hatchbacks, some bigger sedans, others pickup trucks and yet others minivans. Of course some people will want to have more expensive cars to show off, but I don't think that's necessarily correlated with size. (Full disclosure: we own a hatchback.)

I think this was in reference to carrying children. There's social pressure...also technical pressure...I cannot physically fit the stupidly giant car seat in a subcompact car. Owning a larger vehicle is certainly expected.

And FWIW when it comes to cars and transportation, I don't think any of us are normal Tongue

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - bravado - 01-10-2023

(01-10-2023, 02:26 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 06:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Really? My personal observations (nb anecdotal evidence only!) suggest that people (with money to buy new/newish cars) will buy the kind of vehicles they like. Some people like SUVs/crossovers, some like compact hatchbacks, some bigger sedans, others pickup trucks and yet others minivans. Of course some people will want to have more expensive cars to show off, but I don't think that's necessarily correlated with size. (Full disclosure: we own a hatchback.)

I think this was in reference to carrying children. There's social pressure...also technical pressure...I cannot physically fit the stupidly giant car seat in a subcompact car. Owning a larger vehicle is certainly expected.

And FWIW when it comes to cars and transportation, I don't think any of us are normal Tongue

With parents today (and overbearing grandparents) I think you’d get a fair amount of pushback/questions if you tried to jam kids into a modern Corolla or Civic. Somehow you absolutely need that SUV in 2023 parenting circles and anything else is bordering on neglect.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - neonjoe - 01-10-2023

It's kind of funny that car companies have been pushing SUV particularly because they are not subject to the same rigorous safety or fuel regulations compared to traditional cars.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - danbrotherston - 01-10-2023

(01-10-2023, 08:47 AM)bravado Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 02:26 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think this was in reference to carrying children. There's social pressure...also technical pressure...I cannot physically fit the stupidly giant car seat in a subcompact car. Owning a larger vehicle is certainly expected.

With parents today (and overbearing grandparents) I think you’d get a fair amount of pushback/questions if you tried to jam kids into a modern Corolla or Civic. Somehow you absolutely need that SUV in 2023 parenting circles and anything else is bordering on neglect.

Lol...stop describing my parents...

Jokes aside, you're absolutely right. And it's ironic given my parents cars when I was a child were a Ford Tempo and then a BMW 318i (VERY vintage) before eventually graduating to a minivan. So they had no need for a giant SUV when I was growing up.

I will say there is a difference in regulation though, car seats are required for much longer, and car seats have ballooned in size. You'd be hard pressed to fit two of todays car seats in a Ford Tempo and even with my sister and I being 3 years apart, you'd still need two full size car seats which my parents never had.

But again, there's no reason it needs to be that way, they have small car seats here, there's no technical reason that a car seat has to be the size of a lazyboy recliner.

RE: Road design, safety and Vision Zero - plam - 01-10-2023

(01-10-2023, 10:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I will say there is a difference in regulation though, car seats are required for much longer, and car seats have ballooned in size. You'd be hard pressed to fit two of todays car seats in a Ford Tempo and even with my sister and I being 3 years apart, you'd still need two full size car seats which my parents never had.

I know nothing about car seats and how big they have to be! But I wonder if the focus on getting kids in car seats for longer is an example of focussing on a single criterion and not considering the safety/usability picture. Of course they are safer, all else being equal, but they also can't go anywhere?