Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 05-21-2020

Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before.  I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 09:06 AM)kidgibnick Wrote: Walking around yesterday, I noticed what looked like the entire block of Queen S. (from 112 - 84) to the corner of Charles was not only temporarily closed by completely vacated. Peaked in the windows and looked like some were under interior demo - did not look like the same tenant was planning to return. Of course the situation for small business is challenging right now - anyone know what's going on? I always liked the buildings on this block - just needs updating and some love.  Also, Coffee Culture (Queen/King corner) was full of construction equipment. A local resident told me "it's finished." I wasn't sure what to believe?!

I counted today. 10 properties, five vacant and five occupied (games store, African goods, video store, massage and hair salon). Pearl Laundry building has been empty for five-plus years. A few others are more recent but still pre-COVID, I think.

Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 09:06 AM)kidgibnick Wrote: Walking around yesterday, I noticed what looked like the entire block of Queen S. (from 112 - 84) to the corner of Charles was not only temporarily closed by completely vacated. Peaked in the windows and looked like some were under interior demo - did not look like the same tenant was planning to return. Of course the situation for small business is challenging right now - anyone know what's going on? I always liked the buildings on this block - just needs updating and some love.  Also, Coffee Culture (Queen/King corner) was full of construction equipment. A local resident told me "it's finished." I wasn't sure what to believe?!

Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.

Victim of pandemic realities and/or the prospect of a Timmies across the street, or just the Walper continuing to upgrade its tenants, I wonder?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.
That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 06:10 PM)jgsz Wrote: Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before. I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

Is there a timeline for the Vogelsang Green/Queen St changes? I feel like I saw it somewhere, but not sure where.

(05-21-2020, 08:57 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.
That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.

There are a lot of coffee shops in the area and Coffee Culture had one of the worst product selections IMO (not that it was bad), so I'm not too surprised. I did like the atmosphere of the place though. I'd certainly rather have it over Tim Hortons, but people have their habits I guess.

Speaking of coffee shops, does anyone know what's happening with Williams? I seems inaccessible from the street with the Carl Zehr square construction, is presumably shut down from COVID, and has a ton of competition now. Gone for good?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 05-22-2020

(05-21-2020, 09:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 06:10 PM)jgsz Wrote: Vogelsang Green like I've never seen it before.  I was surprised at the amount of soil they removed today.

Is there a timeline for the Vogelsang Green/Queen St changes? I feel like I saw it somewhere, but not sure where.

(05-21-2020, 08:57 PM)Acitta Wrote: That is disappointing as it is the one coffee shop I have most often used. However, I am sure the location will attract something good.

There are a lot of coffee shops in the area and Coffee Culture had one of the worst product selections IMO (not that it was bad), so I'm not too surprised. I did like the atmosphere of the place though. I'd certainly rather have it over Tim Hortons, but people have their habits I guess.

Speaking of coffee shops, does anyone know what's happening with Williams? I seems inaccessible from the street with the Carl Zehr square construction, is presumably shut down from COVID, and has a ton of competition now. Gone for good?
QUEEN ST S
KING ST E TO CHARLES ST E
Reason: Road Reconstruction
Details: TENTATIVE CLOSURE DATES 2+ MONTH CLOSURE
Date: 2020-Apr-22 to 2020-Jun-03

Phase 1 of construction.

QUEEN ST N
DUKE ST E TO KING ST E
Reason: Road Reconstruction
Start:  Jun 4, 2020
Details: TENTATIVE DATES OF CLOSURE 3+ MONTH CLOSURE

Phase 2 of construction.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 05-22-2020

I thought I saw a sign on the King St side about closing for Covid-19, so they were open right until the closure. Seems unlikely the Walper would have a new tenant already, especially given the current circumstances. I feel it's still possible this is just a reno for Coffee Culture, taking advantage of the shutdown. The interior before wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't up to the standard of the renovated Walper.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 05-22-2020

I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related. So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related.  So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

At the moment the sign says they will return. Was there an announcement or something posted?

No, I heard it from a couple of people in the industry...

(05-22-2020, 09:33 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: No, I heard it from a couple of people in the industry...

Perchance ones who previously worked in the same space?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related.  So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

If true, that would be rather ironic...

Actually, the Walper itself was closed for a while, was it not?  Has it now re-opened?

(05-22-2020, 09:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

Actually, the Walper itself was closed for a while, was it not?  Has it now re-opened?

The hotel is open now, yes. The flowershop and barbershop are closed.

(05-22-2020, 09:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

The Walper Barbers are waiting for the go ahead from the government to reopen.

I found this on Vive's site. Looks like the own and are planning on refurbishing the Duke Food block...

http://vivedevelopment.com/property/duke-food-block/