Waterloo Region Connected
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=49)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Spokes - 05-21-2021

Oh absolutely. I've totally placed this one out of my mind. There are SO many better projects in the region at the moment.

But remember when BarrelYards was first announced??? The hype then!

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - ac3r - 05-22-2021

It was easily one of the first big ones in the region. I know City Centre (or whatever it is called), Kaufman and Arrow Lofts all started around the same time. Crazy how fast things have evolved in just 10 years.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - jeffster - 05-22-2021

(05-21-2021, 08:05 PM)Spokes Wrote: Oh absolutely.  I've totally placed this one out of my mind.  There are SO many better projects in the region at the moment.

But remember when BarrelYards was first announced???  The hype then!

There might be ‘better’ projects, but currently, this is the largest project the region has seen. Staton Park might end up being larger though.

Coming down Bridgeport Rd, towards the Sobeys/WalMart plaza, the development looks impressive.

What does suck about it (and really, a lot of projects in and around the region) is that the buildings are on lower ground, so you can’t see them that well from afar. Another example is Charlie, which visually from a distance doesn’t look impressively tall, despite being the 2nd tallest build in the region (DTK being the tallest).

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - ac3r - 05-22-2021

Station Park should be waaaay bigger. While it will only have 6 buildings compared to the 9 planned for Barrelyards (though who knows when they'll ever get to the last 3), they're going to be much higher. Station Park will have 3 buildings of 32, 38 and 44 floors (the latter being a condo set on top of the 10 floor office tower). Not sure if that will equate to more condo units in Station Park versus Barrelyards, or if it just means Station Park will have taller buildings.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-23-2021

Schneiders will also have more buildings -- but likely nowhere near as tall as Station Park.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - ac3r - 05-23-2021

These are the biggest projects that are planned/under construction.

1. The Metz - 19 buildings
2. Barrelyards - 9 buildings
3. Westmount Place (name TBD) - 7, not including the standalone parking garage
4. Station Park - 6 buildings
5. Vierra Village and Elevate - 4 buildings

It's a shame Auburn didn't do anything to make The Metz architecturally interesting. It's going to be the biggest eyesore in the entire region if it turns out looking as cut and paste as it does in the renders that have been released.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-23-2021

(05-23-2021, 05:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: These are the biggest projects that are planned/under construction.

1. The Metz - 19 buildings
2. Barrelyards - 9 buildings
3. Westmount Place (name TBD) - 7, not including the standalone parking garage
4. Station Park - 6 buildings
5. Vierra Village and Elevate - 4 buildings

It's a shame Auburn didn't do anything to make The Metz architecturally interesting. It's going to be the biggest eyesore in the entire region if it turns out looking as cut and paste as it does in the renders that have been released.
At least the buildings dont look as bad as at barrelyards. Also you're forgetting smartcenters cambridge which is 41 buildings last I checked

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - ac3r - 05-23-2021

(05-23-2021, 06:10 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: At least the buildings dont look as bad as at barrelyards. Also you're forgetting smartcenters cambridge which is 41 buildings last I checked

Oops, yes! You're right. I often forget Cambridge exists until someone brings it up. Despite being even bigger than Waterloo, it's such an unfortunately neglected part of our region with very little there. The LRT, as slow as it is, should really help it out, however. The fact Gaslight Condos and the Smartcentres project have been approved shows that developers have faith in future growth. However, whether or not they actually build what they've envisioned remains to be seen. I know someone who has worked on that project and they're basically gambling on our projected population growth, education system, economy etc. Thus far it just seemed like a place we can kick our homeless into and ignore.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-23-2021

(05-23-2021, 05:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's a shame Auburn didn't do anything to make The Metz architecturally interesting. It's going to be the biggest eyesore in the entire region if it turns out looking as cut and paste as it does in the renders that have been released.

The copy-and-paste design still looks better to me than DTK. Big Grin

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Acitta - 05-24-2021

(05-23-2021, 05:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's a shame Auburn didn't do anything to make The Metz architecturally interesting. It's going to be the biggest eyesore in the entire region if it turns out looking as cut and paste as it does in the renders that have been released.
There is supposed to be a public meeting for the Metz sometime this summer. Maybe they will have changed their designs in the two years since the last meeting.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Spokes - 05-26-2021

(05-22-2021, 11:51 AM)ac3r Wrote: It was easily one of the first big ones in the region. I know City Centre (or whatever it is called), Kaufman and Arrow Lofts all started around the same time. Crazy how fast things have evolved in just 10 years.

I remember watching Arrow phase 1 DAILY as I left my apartment across the street so excited for it.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - CP42 - 10-20-2021

This was never really talked about on here, but the fifth apartment tower (The Staves) at The Barrel Yards is nearing completion and is now renting. I believe it is approximately 21 storeys. 

https://www.thestavesbarrelyards.com

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Spokes - 10-21-2021

Remember when this was the most exciting project in town? Haha

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - Belmonster - 10-21-2021

I'm actually impressed by the floorplans. They look really livable, with efficient use of space and adequate closets. The 2br + den apartments look like they could even accomodate a child and a home office.

The only downside I see is that being so boxy and open they're not going to feel any bigger than they are -- there's no illusion of space. Still, compared to most apartment and condo floorplans I've seen lately, they're really good.

RE: The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C - LesPio - 10-21-2021

(10-20-2021, 10:40 AM)CP42 Wrote: This was never really talked about on here, but the fifth apartment tower (The Staves) at The Barrel Yards is nearing completion and is now renting. I believe it is approximately 21 storeys. 

https://www.thestavesbarrelyards.com
Does anyone know what the rental rates will be for a. 1 bedroom, b. 1 bedroom with den, c. 2 bedroom with den?