Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dim Sum
(07-24-2017, 10:43 AM)jerryhung Wrote: There's new dim sum restaurant at the old Lai Lai place now, I forgot its name, it's opened by Taiwanese owner

A Taiwanese restaurant?  Or just a regular Chinese restaurant, but run by a Taiwanese owner?

(07-24-2017, 10:29 AM)timc Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 11:28 AM)jgsz Wrote: So far as I know, yes.  King Tin (closed) used to offer 'cart service' on the weekends.  Dim Sum King and Sky Dragon in Toronto still do 'cart service.'  If you love Dim Sum it's worth visiting one of these restaurants.

King Tin still exists, on Spruce Street.

Thanks.  I did not know that.  Do they offer cart service on the weekend?

For those who may not know, cart service simply means various Dim Sum is taken around the room on carts and you take what you want.  Last time we were in Montreal, we barely sat down before the Dim Sum arrived.  

The picture below is from La Maison Kam Fung in Montreal.  It's a huge place and there are about six or eight ladies pushing these carts around the tables.  It's a great way to eat Dim Sum and it would be nice if Waterloo Region had a place like this.  

I almost never eat Chinese, but I thought that dim sum was always served from carts. If it's not, is it still "dim sum"?
(07-25-2017, 08:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I almost never eat Chinese, but I thought that dim sum was always served from carts.   If it's not, is it still "dim sum"?

Yes.  Try Cameron's a la carte Dim Sum.
There are a lot of places that serve it just from a menu. My wife's usual dim-sum spot in Scarborough is no-carts. They can pack in more tables when they don't need wide aisles for carts.

Carts have their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
- Getting food quickly
- Seeing your food before you order it
- you don't have to know the names of dishes
- Novelty

Disadvantages:
- It can take forever for the dish you want to finally make it to you
- If you are at the end of the loop, you might never get the dishes you want
- Pressure from the staff to take less popular dishes you might not actually want

Huh, thinking about it, I think the last time I was at a cart-based Dim sum place was... La Maison Kam Fung in Montreal!
(07-25-2017, 10:21 AM)Markster Wrote: thinking about it, I think the last time I was at a cart-based Dim sum place was... La Maison Kam Fung in Montreal!

Same here actually.  Another negative: the language barrier. It can be difficult and intimidating to figure out what you want.  A lot of the ladies pushing the carts don't speak English or French.  Sure you can obviously just point at what you want but you can't see inside the dumplings.
(07-25-2017, 10:21 AM)Markster Wrote: Carts have their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
- Getting food quickly
- Seeing your food before you order it
- you don't have to know the names of dishes
- Novelty

Disadvantages:
- It can take forever for the dish you want to finally make it to you
- If you are at the end of the loop, you might never get the dishes you want
- Pressure from the staff to take less popular dishes you might not actually want

Huh, thinking about it, I think the last time I was at a cart-based Dim sum place was... La Maison Kam Fung in Montreal!

I like the carts, although I don’t think I’ve eaten at a place like that since I was a kid.

About the last point, I have to say that is weird. In a properly-run restaurant, the staff will pressure the kitchen to produce less of the less popular dishes, not the customers to eat them! A restaurant is not home, and the customers are not kids who need to eat their broccoli. Ironically, my kids actually like broccoli.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »