Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dim Sum
I was not totally surprised by Canard's comment in the Lai Lai thread that: "I don't know if they have Dim Sum (sounds like they do - I've never had that)".

Not many restaurants in Waterloo Region serve Dim Sum, and of the ones that do, Cameron Chinese Seafood Restaurant is the best -- bar none.  The Dim Sum at Sam's Chinese Kitchen is very good and has a few different items than Cameron.   Ben Thanh now serves Dim Sum but the fried items are too oily.  Spring Rolls in Conestoga Mall had good Dim Sum but they are now closed.

Traditionally, Dim Sum is served for brunch but some restaurants serve it all day long.  On Sundays, if you want to avoid the crowds at Cameron, show up at 10:30 AM.  

The best Dim Sum restaurants are in Toronto.  Dim Sum King, Rol San Restaurant and Sky Dragon Chinese Restaurant are my favourite places in Toronto.  

I would be interested in learning about other restaurants in Waterloo Region that serve Dim Sum.

And so far all of the local dim sum options are a la carte only, right?
(07-23-2017, 10:44 AM)tomh009 Wrote: And so far all of the local dim sum options are a la carte only, right?

So far as I know, yes.  King Tin (closed) used to offer 'cart service' on the weekends.  Dim Sum King and Sky Dragon in Toronto still do 'cart service.'  If you love Dim Sum it's worth visiting one of these restaurants.
Lots of places in Scarborough/Markham still use carts for dim sum as well.
What in particular about my comment surprised you?
Hot Wheels Tea House in Uptown serves some dim sum and it is pretty good.
(07-23-2017, 12:36 PM)Canard Wrote: What in particular about my comment surprised you?

"...I've never had that."  

I assumed you meant you never had Dim Sum.

That's correct, I haven't (I actually think I have, but it was a long, long time ago).

But why does that surprise you? You don't know me or anything about how/what I eat...
(07-23-2017, 03:52 PM)Canard Wrote: That's correct, I haven't (I actually think I have, but it was a long, long time ago).

But why does that surprise you? You don't know me or anything about how/what I eat...

He said he wasn't surprised, and I think his intention was his lack of surprise was due to the lack of it's offering in Waterloo, not something about your eating habits in particular.
(07-23-2017, 05:47 PM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 03:52 PM)Canard Wrote: That's correct, I haven't (I actually think I have, but it was a long, long time ago).

He said he wasn't surprised, and I think his intention was his lack of surprise was due to the lack of it's offering in Waterloo, not something about your eating habits in particular.

Thank you.
:: Gulp :: I somehow missed the "not" in your post, despite reading it at least 3 times. I'm sorry. Sad
(07-23-2017, 06:33 PM)Canard Wrote: :: Gulp :: I somehow missed the "not" in your post, despite reading it at least 3 times. I'm sorry. Sad

That's okay.  I'm sure I've misread and reacted to my misreading.....  It happens.
I'm not really expert enough to know good from very good dim sum. Sometimes this expertise is a blessing- I don't opt for Cameron (I have tried it before) because of how busy it is, and don't really know what I'm missing. When I go for dim sum, it's to Sam's, and I have dined with dim sum lovers who have claimed it's (at least "almost" or "maybe") as good as Cameron.

Some of the sushi restaurants (both all-you-can-eat and a la carte) seem to increasingly be serving some dim sum items, but there isn't nearly enough selection at any of them to actually "go for dim sum."

Good idea for a thread; I'd be curious who else has it in the region. I didn't know about Ben Thanh.

(07-23-2017, 11:28 AM)jgsz Wrote: So far as I know, yes.  King Tin (closed) used to offer 'cart service' on the weekends.  Dim Sum King and Sky Dragon in Toronto still do 'cart service.'  If you love Dim Sum it's worth visiting one of these restaurants.

King Tin still exists, on Spruce Street.
There's new dim sum restaurant at the old Lai Lai place now, I forgot its name, it's opened by Taiwanese owner
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »