Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traffic calming and effective street cross-sections
(07-20-2017, 02:49 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 01:28 PM)isUsername Wrote: This reminds me of Queen St. S., where the speed limit is 50 km/h, but people tend to drive at or slightly slower than 50 km/h, thanks to the street lamps, trees, and other items close to the roadside that makes them think they're driving faster than they may normally think.

Absolutely amazing. My initial thought was something along the lines of, “that might be kind of cool, but it’s not going to be that amazing”. Then I tried it, and had to check that somebody hadn’t installed some sort of hand proximity sensor on my computer monitor. It really felt like covering the middle third sped up the action.

I too was surprised how effective this GIF was.

But isUsername, did you mean Queen St. N.? I find that between Lancaster and the library people tend to drive slower, but I wouldn't have said the same about Queen St. S. unless you mean the built up section between King and Joseph. In fact, I think Queen St. S. from Schneider to Highland is a pretty good example of how not to do traffic calming - wide lanes that have to be artificially narrowed by painted lines. I'm assuming that someone did a study to show that this is effective, but I'm willing to bet it isn't as effective as actually narrowing the lane would be.

Queen St S from Schneider to Courtland is quite effectively narrowed.
South(west) bound I agree. There's still a weird, is-it-a-bike-lane stripe on the north(east) bound side that makes biking along here frustrating.
What's the address of dans link? It just takes me to a farm field in Wilmot.
(07-21-2017, 06:49 PM)clasher Wrote: What's the address of dans link? It just takes me to a farm field in Wilmot.

Lol, the address is correct, the image is out of date, it was a farmers field only a couple of years ago.  I'm not sure how to get the new image, I just see it when I load Google Maps in my web browser.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »