Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spam accounts
(07-18-2017, 06:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: Hi everyone,  Just got on for the first time today just now and I see this.  Damn.  Anyways, we have an awesome mod team here who have been working their tails off to clean things up.  Things from a spam perspective haven't been great the last few months and have clearly gotten worse.  

We're going to take some action to try to remedy this.  

Right now it sounds like making a minimum number of posts to create a new thread is the best bet.  At quick glance it doesn't look like this is a standard feature for myBB (becoming a common theme).  I have some family commitments tonight but I'll keep looking.  

I'll also add a couple of security questions to registration to help.

The whole mod team is committed to fixing this.  Thanks for your support and hang in there.

I definitely appreciate the work you guys put in to the forum. Having been a member of other forums in the past, WRC definitely seems to be a cut above the rest in terms of community and civility.

Yes, thanks mods... one concern....

Can someone register if they don't know the answers?  I only ask as I know we have members not from the region, and its great to have "Outside Waterloo Region" viewpoints as well.....

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I guess they can Google the answers...  move along, nothing to see here....

Coke
(07-18-2017, 06:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: Hi everyone,  Just got on for the first time today just now and I see this.  Damn.  Anyways, we have an awesome mod team here who have been working their tails off to clean things up.  Things from a spam perspective haven't been great the last few months and have clearly gotten worse.  

We're going to take some action to try to remedy this.  

Right now it sounds like making a minimum number of posts to create a new thread is the best bet.  At quick glance it doesn't look like this is a standard feature for myBB (becoming a common theme).  I have some family commitments tonight but I'll keep looking.  

I'll also add a couple of security questions to registration to help.

The whole mod team is committed to fixing this.  Thanks for your support and hang in there.

As others have said, thanks to the whole team for your hard work! I appreciate what a great job you guys do on this site everyday.
As people post thank yous, I want to do one of my own. Markster, Rangersfan and the85 have been amazing mods for this site! This past year has been insanely busy for me between work and personal life and I haven't been able to contribute as much as possible to the discussions on the site. I manage to get on daily or close to it to maintain the site, but can't post as much as I'd like. These three have been rockstars in terms of keeping things moving along and on track. Thank you!
I've now got the site set up so that you must post once before being able to create a new thread. I'm hoping this helps remedy some of the spam issues we've been having.
(01-06-2018, 01:34 PM)Spokes Wrote: I've now got the site set up so that you must post once before being able to create a new thread.  I'm hoping this helps remedy some of the spam issues we've been having.

That should work.  Especially if they mention selling Adidas in the first post.  Or riteing realy good peppers. Wink
I was trying to report this as spam:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...8#pid47208

It’s more subtle than typical spam but still definitely spam.

But the “Report” link isn’t working for me. I have a vague recollection this is a known problem with the board template.

Good catch! Spammer are going to have to try to up their game now! Haha
(07-18-2017, 07:01 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 10:02 AM)tomh009 Wrote: MyBB allows registration security questions, which should help (spambots can decipher most captcha these days).  But asking questions like these would likely foil the bots:
- What is the largest park in downtown Kitchener?
- What was Research in Motion's most famous product?
- What city is Hespeler now part of?

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/administration/spam/

Used all three of these great questions.  Fingers crossed this will help the problem

(01-06-2018, 01:34 PM)Spokes Wrote: I've now got the site set up so that you must post once before being able to create a new thread. I'm hoping this helps remedy some of the spam issues we've been having.

Are these still active? I've noticed an uptick in spam lately.
They should be.

But at first glance the security questions aren't showing up at registration. And I cant find for the life of me where I activated the minimum posting requirement.

Stand by.
(07-24-2018, 06:04 PM)Spokes Wrote: They should be.

But at first glance the security questions aren't showing up at registration.  And I cant find for the life of me where I activated the minimum posting requirement.

Stand by.

Did you figure this out yet? Got some idiot spamming...I gave him a good negative rating for all 3 posts of his....
He's gone now. Smile
I haven't been able to, but I've also been out of town a lot.

If there are spam accounts, use the report feature

Looking at the moderation logs, we've kicked 15 spammers in the past month.
(08-06-2018, 08:23 AM)Markster Wrote: Looking at the moderation logs, we've kicked 15 spammers in the past month.

Busy tonight with spammers
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »