Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
CBC has a piece today on the Sir John A. statue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.2888081

Guess they didn't get the message the first time around, few people want those statues on public land funded with public money. Spend less money on the statues and pay for everything with private money and keep it on private land.
The public money in the original proposal was only 10% of the total cost, with the rest being private donations. I am quite sure the project can be 100% privately funded, if it comes to that. The supposed public opposition to the intial process was the result of a badly flawed and premature (and pre-election) on-line survey, imho. The opposition was much the same sort of "no to everything" response that you got for LRT. The proponents were naïve in not better laying the groundwork and presenting the City with a more complete proposal. Anyway, it's water under the bridge - I can't see the statues being placed in Victoria Park, so the issue will be where to put them. They could stay at the Regional Museum, I suppose, but that wouldn't have the same impact as putting them Downtown/Uptown.
Maybe it will end up being like Toronto's moose project from a few years ago with Prime Ministers sprinkled around the City or Region. Since WLU already has a Laurier statue, and KCI has the Mackenzie King Statue, the project is 13% complete!

I'm also reminded about the history of the Kitchener Cenotaph. Somewhere, I read a story about how the private donors who funded the monument kept a party of workmen in waiting on a side street, out of view of City Hall, while they sought approval from Council (or at least someone in City Hall) to place it in the City Hall Square. At some point the workmen descended on the site and built it, almost without anyone noticing before it was too late.
I'd like to see the statues some where in the city. I just don't think Victoria park was the appropriate venue for them.
That story about the Cenotaph seems doubtful to me, although it may have been paid for by private subscription - it was located on an island in the middle of Frederick St for 20 years before it was moved to City Hall Square in 1949.
Sounds a bit like the story of War Memorial Hall at the University of Guelph. The Ontario Agricultural College administration kept arguing over where to put it so one night a group of students cut down a stand of trees on the site where it stands now.

The Record is reporting that the new Apollo Theatre on Ontario St may be open by the end of the month.  The renovations sound more complete than I had expected, including new carpeting, seating, sound system and 43 foot screen.  You will also be able to buy a beer at the concession and take it into the theatre.  I am really looking forward to having a proper cinema Downtown again and hope that people will support it.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5265...-downtown/
I hope people support it too and it's not a situation like some other retailers where there's just not the population base downtown yet.
So excite.

I will happily take a reduced movie selection if it means I can walk home after. I've recently come home from the Landmark at Boardwalk twice after a movie. One time meant a $20 cab ride, and the other was a long walk to the #4, and a long ride downtown.
Good for the walkers, but with abundant parking in the area, it will be good for drivers as well. Plus, you can go have a coffee and a snack at Adventurers Guild after the movie!
Most of us have to drive when going to the movies, regardless of choice. Personally I'd rather go to Uptown Waterloo where I can have a coffee before or after than to the Boardwalk or Conestoga Mall.

Under this metric the downtown theatre has a good chance of succeeding if there are places like Adventure Guild, Coffee Culture and Imbibe to go to after the show.
I had to go to the bank today and stuck my head in to see the entrance to the cinema. They were installing carpeting in the foyer. There was also popcorn in the machine at the concession stand - a perk for the folks working on the renovation, I guess!. It will be interesting to see what kind of film offerings they have. The Record article referred to "cult" films for the Downtown demographic. Personally, I'd like to see more foreign films along with the slightly "artier" offerings that the Princess has.

Pretty exciting! There will be a few free screenings in early February, including the Big Lebowski.

(10-02-2014, 10:54 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 10:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Exciting news - the e-Record is reporting that the former Hyland Cinema on Ontario St at Duke (most recently Chrysalids) will re-open as a cinema.  This is great news for Downtown!

Look who's posts are showing up!  Great to hear from you.

And especially with such great news.  This was one of the major things I had on my list of downtown needs.
For anyone interested, the Sir John A. McDonald sculpture that was revealed at the Aud a couple of months ago is now on display outside the entrance of THEMUSEUM. Still no word yet on a permanent home for him (and his successors?).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »