Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(08-26-2015, 01:15 PM)timc Wrote: I would rather ride in an on-street bike lane than in a multi-use path. It's safer that way.

Do you have any stats backing this up? I seriously doubt it, particularly in the winter.
Looks like there's going to be a rather long closure of the Iron Horse soon.
This is a particularly annoying place for it to close. The detour options add a non-trivial distance.

Thanks for the heads up. I really wish that the planning team would have waited for the Spur Trail to come online before starting this project. What they really need to fix is the section north of Union up to where the trail hits Waterloo.
(08-26-2015, 02:00 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Thanks for the heads up. I really wish that the planning team would have waited for the Spur Trail to come online before starting this project. What they really need to fix is the section north of Union up to where the trail hits Waterloo.

I think the timing of this closure is because of site work on the Trio on Belmont project, as per the City of Kitchener website: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitc...opment.asp
Yeah, my guess is that they want to set up a portable crane on that side of the building or something. It's a real pain.

Doing "measure distance" on Google Maps, it looks like my best bet now will be to take the Spur Line Trail, such as it exists. I wonder how it's doing south of Guelph St... it had a lot of work still to go 2 weeks ago.
I can see people detouring through Raddatz Park and the Cherry Street townhomes to make a faster connection - hopefully the city will have prepared for that.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
That is why they are doing it ( it was one of the conditions when the site plan was approved) but that work could happen even after all 3 buildings are done. Oh well not a big deal.
Strange is pretty busy now that Park is closed too... I'm going to stick to heading uptown via Duke>Waterloo>Roger/Herbert. It requires a bit of counter-flow riding but that entire neighbourhood is messed up with one-way streets for reasons beyond my comprehension.
(08-26-2015, 01:35 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 01:15 PM)timc Wrote: I would rather ride in an on-street bike lane than in a multi-use path. It's safer that way.

Do you have any stats backing this up? I seriously doubt it, particularly in the winter.

Not really. Just the general idea that pedestrians are safer not having cyclists share the same pathway with them. Also, from personal experience, crossing intersections is more difficult from a multi-use pathway than it is from a bike lane.

If we're talking about winter, then all bike lanes are nearly useless because they end up filled with snow from plows.
(08-27-2015, 06:20 AM)timc Wrote: Not really. Just the general idea that pedestrians are safer not having cyclists share the same pathway with them.

This is a uniquely North American myth. Everywhere else in the world people seem to quite safely and successfully share bike paths with pedestrians. In fact we even have plenty of examples here (the Iron horse trail, the Grey Silo trail), yet people carry on believing that people and cyclists cannot safely share a path.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »