Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
(10-05-2017, 11:30 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 10:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the event growing?  It has such potential, istm.

Its moved to the Kitchener Market, There's 29 breweries/cideries participating. Food is going to be the vendors in the Upper Market.
They are also open to the public during the day on Friday and Saturday from 11am-4pm for craft drinks.
(So it looks like you can grab a beer when visiting on Saturday Market day)

WOW,  this is win win...  My daughter was just asking me to go to the Kitchener Market this weekend...   Now daddy is more motivated lol

I noticed a ring of police and emergency vehicles protecting the festivities on Thursday at lunch in Uptown public square as well as circulating vehicles in the surrounding streets. A little unnerving really; but probably an unfortunate reality of the world these days.

I thought downtown Kitchener had bollards that could be installed in the roads temporarily for this purpose:

https://twitter.com/m_druker/status/916429557837848582

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Dumptrucks seem like a cheaper solution than anything else.
The bollard lines aren't everywhere downtown, only a few select stretches. And I understand they're harder to switch out than originally hoped.
Can bollards stop very large trucks?
Cambridge has bollards installed, I think they have been used 1 time
(10-07-2017, 11:22 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Can bollards stop very large trucks?

I think it depends on the bollard and the truck. Haven't the recent attacks been with not-so-large trucks?

Even though K-W is quite far down the list of potential targets, this attack is just too easy to carry out. It went viral, so to speak. So it's quite reasonable for cities to protect against it with dump trucks.

(10-08-2017, 09:20 AM)darts Wrote: Cambridge has bollards installed, I think they have been used 1 time

They use them somewhat regularly, but they still put those ugly orange construction detour signs at either end of the block.
I would really like to see each Festhalle support a different beer, or several beer brands - the way it is in Munich. You go to a Festzelt for a specific type of beer and atmosphere. Moreover, I would love to see them do away with these silly plastic cups. Half the fun of Munich "Wiesn" is slamming your "Maß" (1L glass) in cheers (it's not called a Stein, those are made of pewter or stone only), standing on the benches, and singing all the ridiculous songs. The bands need to update their playlists a bit too... it's amazing to hear 5,000 people singing "Angel" by Robbie Williams haha!  Is anyone connected with the council behind KW Oktoberfest? Perhaps we need the community to rally for these changes!
I like that we have the biggest Oktoberfest in North America, but every time I walk around downtown when it's on, I'm reminded of the fact that we never have rides:

[Image: Oktoberfest-night_2679450k.jpg]

Every big Oktoberfest celebration in Germany has the showmen bring out their biggest pieces. That's Olympia Looping in the background, the biggest transportable coaster in the world.

Why was that never a thing here?
(10-09-2017, 07:45 AM)Canard Wrote: I like that we have the biggest Oktoberfest in North America, but every time I walk around downtown when it's on, I'm reminded of the fact that we never have rides:

[Image: Oktoberfest-night_2679450k.jpg]

Every big Oktoberfest celebration in Germany has the showmen bring out their biggest pieces.  That's Olympia Looping in the background, the biggest transportable coaster in the world.  

Why was that never a thing here?

Awesome! I wonder how many trucks it takes to move it? I’m amazed at how some of the rides for the Busker Festival move — even the ferris wheel is only a single truck.
Moving Olympia Looping is a mamoth task - something like 40 trailers, IIRC.

Single-trailer is a very popular recent goal - most of the big manufacturers (Mondial, KMG, Zamperla, etc.) are all pushing the envelope on how much "ride" you can fit onto a single trailer. None of the showmen want big, multi-trailer rides anymore... The 90's were the heyday for massive rotating transportable flat rides.

Fun side-story: The new flat ride at Canada's Wonderland this year (Soaring Timbers) is actually a 22-year-old Mondial Inferno that toured the European fair circuit since 1995. It's one of only three ever built - the other two are out of action, too, so it's now the only operating one in the world. It sat on four trailers and was a pain to set up. Sadly, they don't run it in Canada anywhere near as fast as it did overseas...
They had a couple bouncy houses a few years ago, I think.

Maybe the carnival that's always in Preston for Canada Day should set up a few rides for Oktoberfest. Where to put them though? Victoria Park?

Has anyone checked out the festivities at Bingemans this year?
They seem to have an emphasis on 'originality' and 'authenticity' in the marketing this year...

[Image: 1luu.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »