Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
[Image: oktoberfestlovethiscitytv1_zps09f42fa5.jpg]

Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
http://www.oktoberfest.ca/

This would be a good event to get WRC promoted at or perhaps acknowledged.

It's also a great event. Waterloo Region is awesome.
Drake Wrote:This would be a good event to get WRC promoted at or perhaps acknowledged.

It's also a great event. Waterloo Region is awesome.

I agree. Although I want to be fully up and running ideally before rolling out big time promotion. Do you have any connections you had in mind?
Sadly no, though I could claim Hans to be my uncle, but then he is everyone's uncle.
It probably should go into another thread, but has anybody heard anything about the "craftoberfest" that's being planned for K-W this year? I think it has the potential to be a great supplement/alternative to Oktoberfest, which, ironically, suffers in the beer department.
panamaniac Wrote:It probably should go into another thread, but has anybody heard anything about the "craftoberfest" that's being planned for K-W this year? I think it has the potential to be a great supplement/alternative to Oktoberfest, which, ironically, suffers in the beer department.

Follow them on twitter. Lots of events planned.
Does anyone know what's with the reduction in festhalls for 2015? Namely the arenas...

Looks like The Aud, Moses Springer, and the Waterloo Memorial Rec Complex are not festhall locations this year.

Or am I missing something??

The glockenspiel is on-site at Speaker's Corner, but at last check has not yet been fully installed. Here's the scene this afternoon:

[Image: 20150929_121058.jpg]

[Image: 20150929_121039.jpg]

[Image: 20150929_120543.jpg]
...and it's up:

[Image: 20150930_211733.jpg]

A 'bell-ringing ceremony' is planned for Monday.
Is this a permanent installation?
(10-01-2015, 05:55 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this a permanent installation?

Absolutely. It's restoring a piece that had been there for decades before its removal.
(10-01-2015, 11:13 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 05:55 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this a permanent installation?

Absolutely. It's restoring a piece that had been there for decades before its removal.

I remember when it used to be there from when I was a kid.  Nice to see it back
We unfortunately couldn't make it to the parade (both sick). For anyone who attended, I'm curious - did either ion or Grandlinq have a presence in the parade?

(10-12-2015, 08:12 AM)Canard Wrote: We unfortunately couldn't make it to the parade (both sick). For anyone who attended, I'm curious - did either ion or Grandlinq have a presence in the parade?

Alas, no. Even the Region - who did have a float - chose not to emphasize it this year.
There was an article in The Record this weekend as to why The Aud, Moses Springer and the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex bowed out of Oktoberfest festhallen:

Slow ticket sales and the difficulty to find volunteers. Also costs continue to rise and halls need to be massive now to make economic sense to run.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »