Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
To nobody's surprise, Bingemans' deregistering was in order to serve German, craft, and local beers: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4139357

Lovely! A step toward a "National Beer Festival"? Perhaps only in my dreams ... Sad
Next step, they just need to build a pipeline direct from Waterloo Brewing to Bingemans.

http://www.wacken.com/en/news/news/news-...ages-area/
(05-31-2017, 03:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: To nobody's surprise, Bingemans' deregistering was in order to serve German, craft, and local beers: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4139357

I don’t enjoy beer myself, but I’m glad to see this. A festival sponsored by one major beer producer that serves only that brand is pretty lame. Whereas I (abstractly) like the idea of being able to try lots of different beers. I hope this is successful and either more venues split away in future years or the festival realizes it can’t continue to operate as a one-brand operation.
Anyone know offhand how much Molson subsidizes/contributes to the Event as a whole? Probably a HUGE amount with multiple brands under their umbrella. I'm all for local brewers and hope this works out
According to a CBC report, the acting executive director of Oktoberfest says that Bingeman's would be welcomed "with open arms" if they wanted to rejoin Oktoberfest officially next year. One imagines that they would be ....

Personally, I hope Bingemans is hugely successful this year - maybe it would help shake up K-W's increasingly sclerotic "Bavarian" festival.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4328955
(10-04-2017, 09:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: According to a CBC report, the acting executive director of Oktoberfest says that Bingeman's would be welcomed "with open arms" if they wanted to rejoin Oktoberfest officially next year.  One imagines that they would be ....

Personally, I hope Bingemans is hugely successful this year - maybe it would help shake up K-W's increasingly sclerotic "Bavarian" festival.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4328955

My favourite part of the article is this quote:

Quote:"We're hoping that they're going to see after this year that maybe they should be coming back for our 50th anniversary next year," Alfred Lowrick told CBC KW's The Morning Edition host Craig Norris Wednesday as he provided a preview of what to expect during the 49th year of celebrations.

"We certainly would welcome them with open arms," he said, adding they two groups would just need to "clarify" some things first.

I personally think this is wishful thinking. Bingeman's venue will likely be wildly successful, you might actually see other official festhallen follow in their footsteps. Perhaps this could be the start of a "new" Oktoberfest? Are there contractual agreements forcing other festhallen to stay under the official umbrella?

^ Just based on their ticket site, they don't seem to be sold out of any dates yet (and they had a flash sale last friday for tickets for any date for $7, we got some of those). Practically all the other festhallen have sold out. I'm guessing that they may be missing out of towners who would normally just find tickets through the oktoberfest.ca site.
That's it. Most out-of-towners do not search for independent locations.

The best outcome would be that K-W Oktoberfest relaxes their contract requirements in some way allowing Bingeman's to rejoin for next year without having to conform to the current strict rules.
(10-05-2017, 10:35 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That's it.  Most out-of-towners do not search for independent locations.

The best outcome would be that K-W Oktoberfest relaxes their contract requirements in some way allowing Bingeman's to rejoin for next year without having to conform to the current strict rules.
I think this would be the ideal/ I'm attending KW Craftoberfest tomorrow, if this were sanctioned it would allow a lot of out of towners to find out about our actual local craft scene (other than Waterloo Brewing)
(10-05-2017, 10:40 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 10:35 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That's it.  Most out-of-towners do not search for independent locations.

I think this would be the ideal/ I'm attending KW Craftoberfest tomorrow, if this were sanctioned it would allow a lot of out of towners to find out about our actual local craft scene (other than Waterloo Brewing)

Is the event growing?  It has such potential, istm.
(10-05-2017, 10:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 10:40 AM)neonjoe Wrote: I think this would be the ideal/ I'm attending KW Craftoberfest tomorrow, if this were sanctioned it would allow a lot of out of towners to find out about our actual local craft scene (other than Waterloo Brewing)

Is the event growing?  It has such potential, istm.

Its moved to the Kitchener Market, There's 29 breweries/cideries participating. Food is going to be the vendors in the Upper Market.
They are also open to the public during the day on Friday and Saturday from 11am-4pm for craft drinks.
(So it looks like you can grab a beer when visiting on Saturday Market day)
I won 10 tickets for the Bingeman's event on twitter. It's kinda funny that they gave 10 and it's a shame I can't actually go.

(10-05-2017, 11:30 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 10:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the event growing?  It has such potential, istm.

Its moved to the Kitchener Market, There's 29 breweries/cideries participating. Food is going to be the vendors in the Upper Market.
They are also open to the public during the day on Friday and Saturday from 11am-4pm for craft drinks.
(So it looks like you can grab a beer when visiting on Saturday Market day)

That's excellent!
(10-05-2017, 11:45 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I won 10 tickets for the Bingeman's event on twitter.  It's kinda funny that they gave 10 and it's a shame I can't actually go.

Kijiji!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »