Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
I toured the pedestrian mall both Friday and Saturday. It looked very well attended and was a warmer Christkindl Market.

Unfortunately my Saturday midday experience was marred by a smash and grab which made off with the Tim Hortons cash donations bin while in hot pursuit by the Tim Horton's staff person and several patrons. I'm not sure what the outcome was.

On a positive note, the Four All Oktoberfest flavours at the City Hall pop-up were a treat (though I skipped the Sauerkraut flavour).

Reimagining Oktoberfest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5484075

What would you do?  What changes are necessary to make Oktoberfest great again?  What part of Oktoberfest would you keep? Why?
(03-04-2020, 04:23 PM)jgsz Wrote: Reimagining Oktoberfest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5484075

What would you do?  What changes are necessary to make Oktoberfest great again?  What part of Oktoberfest would you keep? Why?

That’s easy, and I don’t even enjoy the taste of beer (any kind of beer, as far as I can tell): get rid of the bogus exclusive deal with the big name dishwater manufacturer and let a thousand craft beers bloom on the tongues of the participants.

I don’t even care if that makes the festival grow or shrink: I just know that there is nothing special about selling beer made in vats bigger than my house by an international conglomerate. By contrast, having people come to Kitchener to sample a huge variety of beers (even including the commercial stuff, but not limited to it) is something different that doesn’t happen in every city and I can appreciate that even though I don’t personally have any interest in partaking.
The article clearly states that the exclusive beer sponsorship covered most of the basic expenses of running Oktoberfest. Introducing German beers last year cut into that sponsorship contributing to the loss. I agree that including craft beers would help to introduce a new generation to Oktoberfest but at what cost! Where will the replacement sponsorship revenue come from?
There are close to 25 craft breweries operating in Waterloo Region. Imagine if we could use Oktoberfest to showcase all of them.
(03-04-2020, 09:27 PM)neonjoe Wrote: There are close to 25 craft breweries operating in Waterloo Region. Imagine if we could use Oktoberfest to showcase all of them.

The issue is that these craft breweries are small, they don't have much money to burn, and therefore can't sponsor Oktoberfest. It would be nice if they all could be part of it, but money is the issue. Oktoberfest can't pay for itself.

I can't think of any way for Oktoberfest to changer, without taking risk. Perhaps they need to realize that the older generation of party goers are mostly in bed during the festivities and that the traditional party perhaps needs to change. I think they'd need to spend good coin on better entertainment in their fest halls.

But really, better minds should be at this to figure a solution for this brand that seems to be dying.
But does "better entertainment" result in taking away what they're trying to achieve with the festival?

I think it is important for the region/ kw Oktoberfest to figure out a way to keep this festival going. These types of cultural activities are important to keep cities interesting. I do think a few things need to change. Quickly here are a couple of my suggestions not necessarily in the order of importance:

1) They need to negotiate a better deal with Molson that will most of the halls to see the Molson products, but then allow others to showcase all the region has to offer in terms of beers. Craftoberfest already has an unofficial hall during Oktoberfest and it is definitely one of the more popular halls.
2) They need to create a better street presence when the festival is on. Banners should be running all the way from downtown Kitchener to uptown Waterloo so people know it is happening. 
3) The start of the festival needs to be more spectacular. Last year i went downtown after work and they had a dinky little booth/ sectioned off area to buy beers.  Maybe the first night should have king st completely shut down. Get a new event liquor license that allows for drinking on the street. Not just in a fenced in area. Bring in long tables and food trucks and make it a "free" hall to start the festival off. This would depend largely on weather.
4) Turn the aud and surrounding land into the family zone. Bring in a fall fair in the aud parking lot. Create a variety family oriented actives in a concentrated area.
5) Not sure what to do with the parade, but I think it need a refresher. Seems to be getting a little stale. Needs some new floats more participation from large local tech businesses. It also doesn't have the same feeling on Weber st as it did on King. 
6) Need to reach out to the tech companies. They should have more of an involvement in the festival in terms of sponsorship/ events. Other than techtoberfest (which I believe is not officially part of oktoberfest) I didn't notice their involvement in this huge regional event last year. 
7) Pricin, obviously this is never going to happen, but it needs to get under control. $10 for a beer and $10 for a sausage is ridiculous and one of the reasons I believe the younger generation is staying home or only going to 1 festhall. 
8) Bring back the glass steins. It just does have an authentic feel in plastic cups 

Not sure how achievable any of these things are or if they would help the festival. I am definitely no expert on the subject. I went to my first hall this past year. I don't want this thing to fad away into non existence like the dragon boat festival though.
(03-06-2020, 12:25 PM)Spokes Wrote: But does "better entertainment" result in taking away what they're trying to achieve with the festival?

I am wondering what they were ever trying to achieve. It really used to be a drunk fest, a sanctioned Ezra Street event, with some add-ons to make it more entertaining.

I think part of the issue too is, really two fold, not as easy to access (such as the fest halls they once had at The Aud, and Frederick Street) and WRPS and society in general really frowns on D&D'ing, as they should. Another thing too is that this region has a lot more events than it did 50 years ago, as does the rest of Ontario. Oktoberfest used to be one of the largest festivals in Canada. Now every city and their twin city has festivals several times a years and likely many are partied out by the time October arrives.
(03-06-2020, 03:44 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I think it is important for the region/ kw Oktoberfest to figure out a way to keep this festival going. These types of cultural activities are important to keep cities interesting. I do think a few things need to change. Quickly here are a couple of my suggestions not necessarily in the order of importance:

1) They need to negotiate a better deal with Molson that will most of the halls to see the Molson products, but then allow others to showcase all the region has to offer in terms of beers. Craftoberfest already has an unofficial hall during Oktoberfest and it is definitely one of the more popular halls.
2) They need to create a better street presence when the festival is on. Banners should be running all the way from downtown Kitchener to uptown Waterloo so people know it is happening. 
3) The start of the festival needs to be more spectacular. Last year i went downtown after work and they had a dinky little booth/ sectioned off area to buy beers.  Maybe the first night should have king st completely shut down. Get a new event liquor license that allows for drinking on the street. Not just in a fenced in area. Bring in long tables and food trucks and make it a "free" hall to start the festival off. This would depend largely on weather.
4) Turn the aud and surrounding land into the family zone. Bring in a fall fair in the aud parking lot. Create a variety family oriented actives in a concentrated area.
5) Not sure what to do with the parade, but I think it need a refresher. Seems to be getting a little stale. Needs some new floats more participation from large local tech businesses. It also doesn't have the same feeling on Weber st as it did on King. 
6) Need to reach out to the tech companies. They should have more of an involvement in the festival in terms of sponsorship/ events. Other than techtoberfest (which I believe is not officially part of oktoberfest) I didn't notice their involvement in this huge regional event last year. 
7) Pricin, obviously this is never going to happen, but it needs to get under control. $10 for a beer and $10 for a sausage is ridiculous and one of the reasons I believe the younger generation is staying home or only going to 1 festhall. 
8) Bring back the glass steins. It just does have an authentic feel in plastic cups 

Not sure how achievable any of these things are or if they would help the festival. I am definitely no expert on the subject. I went to my first hall this past year. I don't want this thing to fad away into non existence like the dragon boat festival though.

Excellent points, westwardloo.  I think you need to get on the Board of Directors because your ideas should be looked at seriously.  Your ideas could save the festival and make it bigger and better than ever before.
(03-06-2020, 03:44 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I think it is important for the region/ kw Oktoberfest to figure out a way to keep this festival going. These types of cultural activities are important to keep cities interesting. I do think a few things need to change. Quickly here are a couple of my suggestions not necessarily in the order of importance:

Some really good points, and here's my take on them!

1) This is a good idea, but would Molson be OK with this?
2) So this got me thinking -- more advertising on the 401.
3) Agree -- for such a large event, it's pretty low-key. I'd almost suggest starting it a week before, on the Saturday (though fest hall could open Friday night, to encourage people to stick around (rather than a lunch hour ceremony) and have it run until Thanksgiving. Both are 10 days, but if you start on a Saturday, you have a running start.
4) A fall fair is a great idea. Unsure what indoor activities the aud could host, being that ice is already installed (or being installed) - event flooring would allow for activities in the Dom arena and Kiwanis rink. Midway and food/drink at the Aud would go a long way.
5) Unsure what to do either.
6) Agree, but how?
7) Yes, especially when you can get a $3 special (Molson) from Chucks.
8) That's funny but yes...
I wonder how much the attendance drop off is?
I keep on hearing that fewer young people are drinking alcohol these days. An event centred on alcohol might just be past its time.

Interesting. Not doubting you at all, but is there any studies on that? As a high school teacher I don't think I've seen much of a difference.
(03-09-2020, 01:07 PM)jamincan Wrote: I keep on hearing that fewer young people are drinking alcohol these days. An event centred on alcohol might just be past its time.

I wasn't around at the original Oktoberfest, but pretty sure it was (and still is) based on German culture more than alcohol.  

To your point though, if fewer young people are drinking alcohol, that should lead to less alcohol-related ER incidents... at the Ezra St. Paddy's party etc.  as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »