Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
The lot at the corner of Weber and Scott streets downtown Kitchener is up for sale by CMA Reality

The interesting thing is that not only is the lot being sold, but the adjacent building (EIWO Canadian Building - (82 Weber Street East) is being sold with it. And they must be sold together.

This property was "re-zoned and approved to re-develop an 11 storey building with 120 units (condo/apartments) consisting of 10 floors residential and 1 floor commercial with 1 level underground parking and surface parking."

Spokes Wrote:The lot at the corner of Weber and Scott streets downtown Kitchener is up for sale by CMA Reality

The interesting thing is that not only is the lot being sold, but the adjacent building (EIWO Canadian Building - (82 Weber Street East) is being sold with it. And they must be sold together.

This property was "re-zoned and approved to re-develop an 11 storey building with 120 units (condo/apartments) consisting of 10 floors residential and 1 floor commercial with 1 level underground parking and surface parking."

That lot has been up for sale for a while (2-3 years). I'm not sure whether the building was always included.

Behind that lot is a run-down/boarded up vacant home with row houses built on as an extension. I believe it's owned by the same people. It's heritage protected, so they're probably waiting for it to be degraded to a point where they could seek permission to knock it down. I'm not sure if that would be included in the listing or not.
Based on the (bad) picture in the listing, it looks like it is included.
Yes, the row of heritage townhouses has always been part of the site. I don't recall the Eiwo building being included in previous news about the site.
The new Beer Store at King and Francis Sts is coming along:

[Image: 2yxrghj.jpg]
Amazing how it looks so much bigger than the parking lot that was there before.
I'm just so happy to see one of the Downtown King St gaps filled. Even if it's with a Beer Store!.

panamaniac Wrote:Especially if it's with a Beer Store!.
fixed that!

The crenelation is amazing.
I noticed the property at the south-east corner of Glasgow and Belmont is up for sale. This could be a great development opportunity.
Spokes Wrote:I noticed the property at the south-east corner of Gage and Belmont is up for sale. This could be a great development opportunity.

You mean the site under development for the new apartment complex, or the Warwick Marking plant itself?
panamaniac Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:I noticed the property at the south-east corner of Glasgow and Belmont is up for sale. This could be a great development opportunity.

You mean the site under development for the new apartment complex, or the Warwick Marking plant itself?

Sorry not Gage. Glasgow. Fixed.
Oh, that would be a great location for a new condo - right at the edge of Belmont Village.
I noticed today that there is scaffolding and some hoarding in front of the little building on King St East that, for many years back in the day, housed the Little Pinto children's clothing store. I believe it is used as apartments, but it has been deteriorating for years. I hope that they are just doing some repairs and not changing the façade - I think it may be one of the most modest examples of Art Deco that I have ever seen!

[Image: 16isca0.jpg]

Lots of small projects in the east end of Downtown.

New roof going on the former Hive. I hope the exterior walls will also be spruced up.

[Image: 2i1z9er.jpg]

The Little Pinto Shop - some of the damaged pre-cast stone has already been removed. I hope they don't spoil the exterior.

[Image: 205tied.jpg]

The work is continuing at Braun's former location. I suspect this may become a high-tech office space. The interior I saw a few weeks ago looked terrific.

[Image: 2wf8kfl.jpg]

A new café/bakery/giftware shop (?) called the Generous Host opening this weekend on Eby St behind the Hong Kong Plaza.

[Image: 2s1a9uq.jpg]
rangersfan Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:Renovations are continuing at 22 Charles St West (next to the building housing Thalmic Labs), A new glass front is being installed in the entrance/stairwell and new windows are being installed on the second floor. Not sure who occupies the building, if anyone, but it should look better when the work is completed.

It appears 22 Charles st is also being renovated for Thalmic Labs. According to this website the redevelopment is known as "Charles by the Park".
http://www.charlesbythepark.ca/

September 13, 2014

[Image: September132014.png]

The extension will not win any awards, but hey, the more renovated office space the better!

[Image: 34dlqib.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »