Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-02-2019, 10:36 AM)JJTL Wrote: Does anyone know if it is just the Walper Barbershop impacted, or other businesses too? I was just thinking of the Walper Tobacco Shop as well, I believe it is the oldest Tobacco shop in Canada (circa 1891). Not a shop I frequent, but certainly has historical value that also would be a shame to lose. Unless they are vacating Coffee Culture, not sure how the spaces could be better utilized than they already are...

I don't think they'd dare.  It has been updated in recent years.

(04-02-2019, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 10:36 AM)JJTL Wrote: Does anyone know if it is just the Walper Barbershop impacted, or other businesses too? I was just thinking of the Walper Tobacco Shop as well, I believe it is the oldest Tobacco shop in Canada (circa 1891). Not a shop I frequent, but certainly has historical value that also would be a shame to lose. Unless they are vacating Coffee Culture, not sure how the spaces could be better utilized than they already are...

Ya exactly, they just put some money into updating it. Hope you're right.
(04-01-2019, 09:23 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: i get it,  i am not devoid of smartness but,  this is a historical landmark in Kitchener  Plus, I know the people who work there and i actually give sh.. about thier well being.  It isnt just about what I want,  it is looking out for those wonderful people as well... and some historical signifigance ..

Moving two blocks (or less) away is unlikely to cause them to go out of business and for the people to lose their jobs.
(04-02-2019, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

I do have an answer but the barber said it's not public yet and asked me not to "go talking around about it", so, gleam from that what you will
(04-02-2019, 10:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 10:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: A new professional photography business. It just opened a few months ago.

You're right, I remember passing by when they were setting up.  The hotel seems to have decided to look for more "up scale" storefronts.

A photographer is probably a good fit for the wedding business that the hotel continues to pursue.
(04-02-2019, 01:05 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't think they'd dare.  It has been updated in recent years.

I do have an answer but the barber said it's not public yet and asked me not to "go talking around about it", so, gleam from that what you will

Don't like the sounds of that
Article in the Record today about the Walper Barbershop.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/926...kitchener/

(04-03-2019, 11:16 PM)JJTL Wrote: Article in the Record today about the Walper Barbershop.

I was speaking on Facebook with one of the Barbers yesterday. They are devestated and don't know what they will do.  This came out of no where ....

The article sugests the new tenants are open to updating and renovating. I don't think Perimeter understands that the beautiful old historical value of the shop is what is so appealing to so many customers.  They are missing the boat on this one.
One hopes that any renovations spare the old mosaic floors. They are gorgeous.
(04-04-2019, 08:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 11:16 PM)JJTL Wrote: Article in the Record today about the Walper Barbershop.

I was speaking on Facebook with one of the Barbers yesterday. They are devestated and don't know what they will do.  This came out of no where ....

The article sugests the new tenants are open to updating and renovating. I don't think Perimeter understands that the beautiful old historical value of the shop is what is so appealing to so many customers.  They are missing the boat on this one.

Are they? While we may not always like it I'm sure perimeter knows they can rent the whole space for much more money, and the only customers who will be losing out are the barbershops customers. This is probably good for perimeter.

While we may not like it, I certainly don't, it's important to remember that capitalism cares not for what's best for people, it only cares for maximizing value for shareholders...and this...often...aligns with benefit for people.  In this case maybe not.

I will say, it's strange the barbershop didn't know in advance, either Perimeter is pulling a fast one (again, not necessarily contrary to profit seeking, just trashy), or they weren't really paying attention.
(04-04-2019, 09:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 08:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was speaking on Facebook with one of the Barbers yesterday. They are devestated and don't know what they will do.  This came out of no where ....

Are they? While we may not always like it I'm sure perimeter knows they can rent the whole space for much more money, and the only customers who will be losing out are the barbershops customers. This is probably good for perimeter.

While we may not like it, I certainly don't, it's important to remember that capitalism cares not for what's best for people, it only cares for maximizing value for shareholders...and this...often...aligns with benefit for people.  In this case maybe not.

I will say, it's strange the barbershop didn't know in advance, either Perimeter is pulling a fast one (again, not necessarily contrary to profit seeking, just trashy), or they weren't really paying attention.

I remember speaking with one of the barbers several years ago about the changes at the Walper.  At that time, they didn't know whether they'd be affected, but they couldn't say they wouldn't be.  While the actual notice is short, there's been an awareness of the "risk" for quite some time.  Pretty poor communications on Perimeter's part, however.
(04-04-2019, 08:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One hopes that any renovations spare the old mosaic floors.  They are gorgeous.

I believe they're protected.  I think they still exist in Coffee Culture.
(04-04-2019, 09:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 08:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was speaking on Facebook with one of the Barbers yesterday. They are devestated and don't know what they will do.  This came out of no where ....

I am friends with two of the Barbers. They were blind sided. This is just perimeter making more money. This is one of the oldest and most historic barber shops in Canada   history still means something to some people.

(04-04-2019, 12:32 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 09:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Are they? While we may not always like it I'm sure perimeter knows they can rent the whole space for much more money, and the only customers who will be losing out are the barbershops customers. This is probably good for perimeter.

I am friends with two of the Barbers. They were blind sided. This is just perimeter making more money. This is one of the oldest and most historic barber shops in Canada   history still means something to some people.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying I don't think Perimeter is "missing the boat", they're probably doing exactly what they should be to maximize profit. I think it's important to recognize that the cause isn't Perimeter acting against capitalism, it's that capitalism doesn't always work the way we want it.
(04-04-2019, 12:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 12:32 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am friends with two of the Barbers. They were blind sided. This is just perimeter making more money. This is one of the oldest and most historic barber shops in Canada   history still means something to some people.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying I don't think Perimeter is "missing the boat", they're probably doing exactly what they should be to maximize profit. I think it's important to recognize that the cause isn't Perimeter acting against capitalism, it's that capitalism doesn't always work the way we want it.

According to the Record article, Perimeter had offered the barbers a long-term lease but was turned down. So now they have found a new tenant.

As in most situations, there are two sides here. The barbers' month-to-month is indeed being terminated, but they did have an option (assuming the article is correct) to commit for the long term and secure the space for themselves. They decided to not commit, but that also meant that Perimeter was at liberty to terminate at any time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »