Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(01-23-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if they'll get any grief about the proposed rear setback?  What's behind the site?

The neighbourhood is residential, but the immediate neighbours look like multi-unit buildings with rear parking, so I doubt there are huge concerns.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps

Progress on NEO developments project at 32 Ahrens St W (previous dwelling):

The proposal:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(01-23-2018, 09:59 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Progress on NEO developments project at 32 Ahrens St W (previous dwelling):

The proposal:

They make some pretty cool contemporary houses that fit well in older neighbourhoods.

[Image: B822528146Z.1_20160603210024_000_GIA1MDG...allery.jpg]
(01-24-2018, 12:08 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 09:59 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Progress on NEO developments project at 32 Ahrens St W (previous dwelling):

The proposal:

They make some pretty cool contemporary houses that fit well in older neighbourhoods.

[Image: B822528146Z.1_20160603210024_000_GIA1MDG...allery.jpg]

Where is that one located?
Menno St Waterloo: https://goo.gl/maps/eEC7pNw1hjP2
2 interesting tidbits of news to share

I've mentioned in the past that my company (well, the company I work at) will be moving into the main portion of the revamped Schlicters building at 132 Queen. I've just found out that the building was apparently built to be able to hold a 6 story tower on top! This doesn't mean that anything is imminent, and I HIGHLY highly doubt anything would happen for at least 10 years, just thought I'd share that bit of information Smile. We'll also now be taking over even more space than we had initially planned - the vast majority of the building.

The second piece of news (which I have received form a source I will not name, but literally could not be any more credible) is that Thalmic is looking at expanding... again. They plan on building an entirely new building from the ground up, in between their 2 existing buildings and connecting them, consuming the parking lots. I don't know the timeline, I just know this is the plan.
(01-31-2018, 04:00 PM)GtwoK Wrote: 2 interesting tidbits of news to share

I've mentioned in the past that my company (well, the company I work at) will be moving into the main portion of the revamped Schlicters building at 132 Queen. I've just found out that the building was apparently built to be able to hold a 6 story tower on top! This doesn't mean that anything is imminent, and I HIGHLY highly doubt anything would happen for at least 10 years, just thought I'd share that bit of information Smile. We'll also now be taking over even more space than we had initially planned - the vast majority of the building.

The second piece of news (which I have received form a source I will not name, but literally could not be any more credible) is that Thalmic is looking at expanding... again. They plan on building an entirely new building from the ground up, in between their 2 existing buildings and connecting them, consuming the parking lots. I don't know the timeline, I just know this is the plan.

I don't think the Schlicters building would see and addition on top. If anything it would make way more sense to clear the site and develop from scratch. Interesting to know though!

I thought a new build between the two Thalmic buildings was naturally going to happen. Good to hear that they see the potential too. Hopefully they build 4-5 or more storeys to handle future growth!
A bit of sad, but leading to relevant news.

My old neighbour, whose massive backyard abuts mine (I believe it is 190 ft in length), has been moved to long term care. Her property has been boarded up (165 Courtland Ave E.) which is next to St. Joseph's Residence. This is news as that property allows for medium density, I believe, as part of the Kitchener Official Plan. Property is massive, it runs from Courtland to the end of 189 Cedar St S (our rental prop). It originally was a farmhouse. A bit of history, her father/grandfather (Hintz), owned much of the land that is now present day Cedar St S. In fact, her father helped build 193, 187 then 189 Cedar St S (in that order). 189 was a gift for an uncle that came back from the war (he was originally from Alberta). If you've ever driven down there, you'll see 189 and 193 share a common driveway. The owner of 193 and 189 were one and the same, which was why it was a shared driveway.

It has been sold. At present I'm not sure who, but you can believe I am interested, as our property would make the most wonderful 'L' to it. The only issues are GRCA something-or-other for a bit of the backyard (mine as well), and there is a sewer drain on the property.

House is in rough shape. It will be demolished. I'm curious who bought it.
Holy cow, that garden looks incredible from satellite view.
Is the lot wide enough for a row of towns, I wonder?
It's about 18m (60') wide so you probably could do a row of towns if you put the parking at the back. The property is an amazing 123m (400' or so) long!
A very remarkable size! And thanks for the history lesson, as well.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
(02-04-2018, 08:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's about 18m (60') wide so you probably could do a row of towns if you put the parking at the back.  The property is an amazing 123m (400' or so) long!

Actually, I just checked the dimensions for 122 Courtland E, which now has a now block of 14 stacked townhouses.  The lot is also about 18m wide, though only 48m deep.  And they actually have parking all along the length, so I think 165 Courtland E would have no trouble at all fitting in stacked townhouses.
Noticed that the Northern Thai building (Queen St S, right near Charles), which was recently for sale, has now sold. Incoming development? OR does downtown property changing hands like this mean virtually nothing?

In either case, this (combined with the abutting 2 storey strip mall fronting the Queen St Ion Station) is probably my most anticipated downtown property to be developed. The potential is huge, and considering the gross state of the property / it's businesses now, I'm excited for it to hopefully turn into a nice commercial development!
(02-13-2018, 11:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed that the Northern Thai building (Queen St S, right near Charles), which was recently for sale, has now sold. Incoming development? OR does downtown property changing hands like this mean virtually nothing?

In either case, this (combined with the abutting 2 storey strip mall fronting the Queen St Ion Station) is probably my most anticipated downtown property to be developed. The potential is huge, and considering the gross state of the property / it's businesses now, I'm excited for it to hopefully turn into a nice commercial development!

I had heard two years ago that the 2 storey strip mall was sold to an (American?) developer so here's hoping! The little house on Church was also for sale fairly recently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours Spokes 677 367,854 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: nms
  General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours Spokes 135 85,171 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Momo26