Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Dear WRConnected Users: Three whole years! We've grown so much over the past three years, and much of that is because of you, the amazing WRConnected Users. But like any other website, there are costs associated with running it. To this point it has been funded out of my own pocket. As some of you may already know, we accept donations. Some of you have made donations (thank you!). This helps cover all of the background costs associated with running this site. If every user were to donate $1 we would more than cover our yearly expenses. If WRConnected is useful to you, take a minute and help keep it online for another year. Any donation is helpful. Thank you.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I'd like to see the city stepping in on things like this to ensure that it happens.
(07-01-2017, 09:28 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-20-2017, 09:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems more like a clean-up and reno of the Nougat building, more than preps for any imminent redevelopment.

I heard through the grapevine that a building will be going up on that site.  It won't be as tall as the Iron Horse Towers and it will taper  down towards David Street.

From Frank Etherington's blog.

Quote:an attractive condominium development on the former Nougat Bakery site and the ugly, neighbouring auto business next to the Iron Horse Trail. The development — an 11-storey condo fronting on Queen Street dropping to a six-storey building at the rear facing David Street — will start with demolition of existing buildings. Construction is likely to continue into 2018.
The five storey "step down" at the back seems interesting - the terraces (one hopes) would get some terrific afternoon sun.  Look forward to seeing a render.
Looks like the conversion of the one RBC building (on Ontario) to condos is just about done. Saw them putting in AC units the past few weeks. 28 units going in there, I imagine the windows spanning hthe entire building must offer a pretty nice view. Emailed to check on them and apparently they're looking for an August 1st move in

[Image: k6OxVFB.png]
[Image: Kx9UlJQ.png]
Might be nice to live in a building with a licenced cinema and a cafe in the basement!
Has anyone seen any details on the development referenced above by Frank Etherington?
Wow, I didn't know about that conversion. Are they individually owned condos, or apartments? I haven't seen any listing for condos there.
Rentals.
(07-07-2017, 11:38 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Has anyone seen any details on the development referenced above by Frank Etherington?

Frankie spilled the beans?  Wink
Geotechnical/hydrological drilling ongoing this morning at the Manulife parking lot bordered by Water/Joseph/Francis/Charles.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
163 Palmer St, next to the Iron Horse Trail, is getting rebuilt.  The nasty-looking back addition will go, and a second story will be added instead.

Here is the pre-construction state (thanks to Mr Google):

And with the demolition work started:

New cafe/bar going into the former TD in Belmont Village: https://www.wilhelmskw.com/
(07-25-2017, 11:20 AM)bpoland Wrote: New cafe/bar going into the former TD in Belmont Village: https://www.wilhelmskw.com/

Might be interesting.  I like the name and the "missing since 1916" part.  But what on earth is a "European-style dining atmosphere?"
The new front facade on the old Schlichter building at 132 Queen St S, is going up this afternoon.
(07-25-2017, 11:31 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 11:20 AM)bpoland Wrote: New cafe/bar going into the former TD in Belmont Village: https://www.wilhelmskw.com/

Might be interesting.  I like the name and the "missing since 1916" part.  But what on earth is a "European-style dining atmosphere?"

I love the name and logo.  "European-style dining atmosphere" means "we will charge you a premium".  Smile

Seriously, if "Euro-style" just meant that you won't get your bill until you ask for it .....