Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(06-29-2017, 02:28 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: It's going to be harder for U-Haul to justify staying there the more these developments box it in.

So long as the condos are going up, I'd say there's a decent proposition for sticking around a little bit longer, at least while property values are still rising. Think of the convenience of getting a rental van that you can return and then walk home from after your move!

To be honest, I'd rather see Manulife expand its offices by finally building a tower on the podium at Water and Charles, but killing another big parking lot would be quite nice too!
They just renovated that building (that's what the article was about!) so I don't see a tower being added soon.
(06-29-2017, 02:05 PM)urbd Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 11:19 AM)Owen Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/739...ted-space/

... "Adolphe did hint that Manulife is looking into further real estate investment in downtown Kitchener." ...

A little bird told me that the parking lot across the street (boxed in by Water and Francis, Joseph and Charles) is in the planning stage for a major development: 3 story podium plus two +20 story towers.  Additional Manulife offices in the podium with residential condos above.

I heard the same thing too!

That would be interesting, so where would the city put their new parking garage they want to build on that exact same lot?

Though I do like this plan a lot better.

I work for the city, maybe I'll see if Cory Bluhm knows any details of this. Since I am not in planning, though, and if it's 'under wraps' to what is going on in that area, if they do tell me, and if it's confidential, then you guys are out of luck...sorry.
I believe the city garage is intended for the city lot across Charles St from the Manulife proposal. Both are intending to build on their own properties.
(06-30-2017, 06:16 AM)taylortbb Wrote: I believe the city garage is intended for the city lot across Charles St from the Manulife proposal. Both are intending to build on their own properties.

That was also my understanding.
(06-20-2017, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems more like a clean-up and reno of the Nougat building, more than preps for any imminent redevelopment.

I heard through the grapevine that a building will be going up on that site.  It won't be as tall as the Iron Horse Towers and it will taper  down towards David Street.

If they can save the old feed silos, I'm all for it!
That unattractive prefab building on Kehl is being painted.  (Google photo)

Took a photo from the expressway and you can see the new paint.  The paint on part of the building (blocked by trees) looks rather cubist.  

One could honestly say it has never looked better ....
(07-01-2017, 10:47 AM)panamaniac Wrote: If they can save the old feed silos, I'm all for it!

What I've seen doesn't reuse anything already there. I don't think there's any hope the silos will remain.
Filling in parking lots is nice and all, but 2 whole blocks directly across from the parking being unusable to the public (as in, solely manulife offices) feels a little claustrophobic to me...

Woudl love to see some chops in here. Give people a reason to actually want to walk around downtown, rather than stick to a few blocks of King St. Show people there's more to the city than a small stretch of stores.
(07-01-2017, 04:48 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Filling in parking lots is nice and all, but 2 whole blocks directly across from the parking being unusable to the public (as in, solely manulife offices) feels a little claustrophobic to me...

Woudl love to see some chops i
n here. Give people a reason to actually want to walk around downtown, rather than stick to a few blocks of King St. Show people there's more to the city than a small stretch of stores.

It might be a little premature to conclude that there wont be any retail component to a development which at this stage is hearsay...

I'd like to see the city stepping in on things like this to ensure that it happens.
(07-01-2017, 10:28 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-20-2017, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems more like a clean-up and reno of the Nougat building, more than preps for any imminent redevelopment.

I heard through the grapevine that a building will be going up on that site.  It won't be as tall as the Iron Horse Towers and it will taper  down towards David Street.

From Frank Etherington's blog.

Quote:an attractive condominium development on the former Nougat Bakery site and the ugly, neighbouring auto business next to the Iron Horse Trail. The development — an 11-storey condo fronting on Queen Street dropping to a six-storey building at the rear facing David Street — will start with demolition of existing buildings. Construction is likely to continue into 2018.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »