Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Civic District
The Civic District

[Image: Kitchener_Downtown_District.jpg]

[Image: Civic_District_Map.jpg]

Does anyone know if the plan is still to build a public square next door to the library? On top of the parking garage?
Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.
panamaniac Wrote:Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.

I hadn't even thought of that. That would have been smart.

I'm hoping the parking lot gets developed which will provide some amenities, and people living there, and that space in between does end up becoming the public square like planned.
Spokes Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.

I hadn't even thought of that. That would have been smart.

I'm hoping the parking lot gets developed which will provide some amenities, and people living there, and that space in between does end up becoming the public square like planned.

I don't know about people living there, but I agree that adding some amenities to the two remaining building sites would enhance the Civic District. I wonder if the City would ever be bold enough to invite proposals for development from the private sector? I'm guessing no.

Actually, if no good public use is found for the old Provincial Courthouse in the next few years, I wouldn't mind seeing that site at Frederick and Lancaster sold off for a residential project.
You don't think that an added population base would help liven up the area and therefore result in an increase in amenities?

I think we'll see the city start looking at a lot of their vacant land and issuing RFP's. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Spokes Wrote:You don't think that an added population base would help liven up the area and therefore result in an increase in amenities?

I think we'll see the city start looking at a lot of their vacant land and issuing RFP's. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

It would, but it would be a huge turnaround from the "vision" of the past half century (almost) for what's now known as the Civic District. If there were a shift to private development, it would need to incorporate public amenities, like a small concert venue or a small theatre. If the private sector wanted to bear the cost, it could be an attractive option.

panamaniac Wrote:It would, but it would be a huge turnaround from the "vision" of the past half century (almost) for what's now known as the Civic District.

Maybe it's about time to change the vision so it's not so "civic" that it can't support or offer any amenities?
panamaniac Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:You don't think that an added population base would help liven up the area and therefore result in an increase in amenities?

It would, but it would be a huge turnaround from the "vision" of the past half century (almost) for what's now known as the Civic District. If there were a shift to private development, it would need to incorporate public amenities, like a small concert venue or a small theatre. If the private sector wanted to bear the cost, it could be an attractive option.

I think things like the Registry Theatre and Centre in the Square are good base amenities and then you grow from there.
mpd618 Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:It would, but it would be a huge turnaround from the "vision" of the past half century (almost) for what's now known as the Civic District.

Maybe it's about time to change the vision so it's not so "civic" that it can't support or offer any amenities?

This! I don't know exactly what the vision was, but my guess it was just labelled the civic district to keep with what was already there, not to say that it would only contain civic contents.

There's a decent (but not great) employment base there from 9-5, but after that, it's generally a wasteland. Private residential investment would create a livelier area, and force amenities to follow soon after.

Now that being said, the City of Kitchener is likely trying to do the same thing with the City Centre District, and therefore might not want to be spreading it's efforts too thin.
So, it always pay to do a bit of reading before posting (I'll learn someday!) - here is the "vision" endorsed in 2009 and it indeed talks about private development and amenities in the Civic District.

http://www.kpl.org/central/documents/ci ... _May09.pdf
panamaniac Wrote:So, it always pay to do a bit of reading before posting (I'll learn someday!) - here is the "vision" endorsed in 2009 and it indeed talks about private development and amenities in the Civic District.

http://www.kpl.org/central/documents/ci ... _May09.pdf

I remember seeing that a number of years ago. I'd love to see it updated given that the presence of the new consolodated courthouse and emptying of the provincial courthouse is not felt on it.

I don't like that all of the future buildings are slated to be educational or institutional. I think you NEED residential for this to be a vibrant area. Without doing that it's going to continue to be a work day wasteland.
I will fix this post at a later time ( I have a hard time posting on my phone) .

The City of Kitchener and 3 firms involved with the Main KPL Expansion are being sued for 7 million dollars by a fourth firm involved with the project.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/551390...enovation/

If you need $7M more due to 273 change orders, then those 273 change orders should have properly outlined the cost escalation. It's not anyone else's fault if you don't account for administration costs due to the additional work they represent.
"None of the allegations have been proven in court".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »