Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
(05-21-2020, 08:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for when self driving cars are coming, I think it's a lot sooner than you folks think, I suspect they are already safer than average human drivers (remember, humans are a very very low bar) and as soon as it's feasible (i.e., as safe as a professional human driver) you can bet that the T&L industry will stop employing drivers--who are very expensive and cannot drive 24/7, whether you choose to buy a self driving car or not, they're coming.

I doubt that self-driving cars are safer than humans right now, Autonomous vehicle safety myths and facts. The blog is full of great information and analysis of whatever solid data the author can find. In that link near the bottom is a little blurb about Tesla autopilot and a flawed study the NHTSA. There is a link on the sidebar to the 2020 numbers, and a lot of other interesting stuff that I don't really understand since I'm not a tech person.

Elon Musk said a few years ago we'd have self-driving cars in 2020, so did a lot of people in 2010 and 1995, and so on. It's been "coming" for a long time apparently but it's still not here and probably won't be for decades.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by Canard - 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by JCnb - 10-28-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by Markster - 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road - by clasher - 05-21-2020, 11:33 AM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Shawn - 09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Spokes - 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Waterlooer - 09-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by DHLawrence - 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM