Hey Guest,
Welcome, Join our awesome community where you can discuss on various topics
or Create an Account

Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Dear WRConnected Users: WOW! Our fourth "birthday"! We've grown so much over the past four years, and much of that is because of you, the amazing WRConnected Users. But like any other website, there are costs associated with running it. As some of you may already know, we accept donations. Some of you have made donations (thank you!). This helps cover some of the background costs associated with running this site. If every user were to donate $1 we would more than cover our yearly expenses. If WRConnected is useful to you, take a minute and help keep it online for another year. Any donation is helpful. Thank you.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
My guess is substantial completion by end of year with final cleanup next spring. Just in time to start the next stretch.

One thing of note, somewhat related, is that many of the bridges between 6 south and 25 (Milton) have been/are in the process of being widened to the full width for 5 lanes.
Whoah, you really think the whole thing is going to be done by the end of the year?! That'd be awesome, but I totally don't see it... I hope you're right though!

I figured we were at least another 2 years out 'till seeing all 5 lanes open betewen 8 and 24.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
Westbound lanes have shifted to the new alignment from Hespeler through the Kinsman building.

Still gaping holes either side of the rail underpass with lots of large tubes sitting nearby, although it looks like they've started digging out the embankment to the east to make space for the new lanes to come through.
Did that happen overnight? Yesterday evening it was still the regular configuration on my way home, but I saw the lanes were painted.

I guess I’ll find out this afternoon Smile
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
When I drove through around 5:30 AM, cars were zipping by on the newly opened stretch. On the way home at 5pm, the slowdown was at the Hespeler onramps and not on the incline like it used to be.
At 4pm or so the slowdown was definitely in the same place as it always is for me anyway, going up the hill. I always find it’s very congested until the second 24 on ramp... then it picks up a bit, but slows to a crawl again at the base of the hill.

The issue is that people in the right lane should move over and exit immediately, people in the middle lane should continue through or move over to the right one lane and exit, and people in the left should stay there for London. If everyone did this, it would work... but no, people in the middle lane FREAK OUT going up the hill, slam on their brakes and try to merge right. So your effective lane capacity goes from 3 to 1 to 2. Disaster. Every day.

I was really hoping they’d at least have it as a 4-lane configuration at the exit but it’s exactly the same setup as it was before construction, sadly.

Guess we’ll have to wait until it’s completely finished to have nirvana: two right lanes continuing on to 8 with no merge & shift stupidity.
(07-26-2018, 09:04 PM)Canard Wrote: Whoah, you really think the whole thing is going to be done by the end of the year?!  That'd be awesome, but I totally don't see it... I hope you're right though!

I figured we were at least another 2 years out 'till seeing all 5 lanes open betewen 8 and 24.

The entire project is supposed to be done July next year, and that includes all the cleanup and demobilization.  It is not inconceivable that eastbound could be done by end of this year and then westbound next year.