Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
Won’t the highway at the merge have to be completed (widened to 5 lanes) for that to make any difference?

Speaking of which, both lanes on the flyover are open again.
It was very nice this morning!
Agreed, although I typically pass through at 530, which was generally ok with the one lane configuration.

On a related note, paving of the new westbound lanes has started.
(06-18-2018, 04:46 PM)jamincan Wrote: It was very nice this morning!

I agree. What a difference !! Serenity now!
Almost! Unfortunately the loss of the rightmost lane happens at exactly where the merge is (not well beyond), so effective lane capacity still drops from 2 to 1 on the flyover.

(I appreciate this is temporary until all 5 through lanes are complete and the flyover generates lanes 4 & 5).
I went through around 6:30am yesterday when you would normally experience a pretty good backup, and it went smoothly. It's not the final optimal configuration, but it's enough to help.

(06-19-2018, 06:53 AM)jamincan Wrote: I went through around 6:30am yesterday when you would normally experience a pretty good backup, and it went smoothly. It's not the final optimal configuration, but it's enough to help.

Agreed, both mornings I have gone through now it has been so much better.  It will just get better as the new lanes open up.  I think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally...
Work is progressing on the new WB lanes. A few layers of asphalt had been laid with a few gaps remaining.

The only place where work seems to have lagged is at the CP bridge. The new bridge has been poured, but still gaping holes on either side with tubes of varying sizes waiting to go in somewhere and some earth to move around to finalize the placement of the embankment immediately to the east.
I noticed the other day that there is a closure planned for access to Hwy 8 from the 401 on Sunday (night I think? I missed the times). Any ideas what might be happening? I didn't get the impression that they were close enough to move traffic over to the new WB lanes, but maybe they're going faster than I though.
They've had the ramp closed a few times recently, Canada day for one. Not sure why.
10pm-5am (just passed a sign on the bus)
Looks like they're going to be shifting the westbound lanes to the new section between Hespeler and the Kinsman building sometime soon.

Still gaping holes either side and lack of perceivable movement at the rail underpass.

Yes, I had that thought today! Something looked different to me but I wasn't sure what it was - I'm thinking they removed a bunch of the concrete barriers in preparation for the shift.

I really, really wish we had access to the project timing or whatever - it's just such a guess.
My guess is substantial completion by end of year with final cleanup next spring. Just in time to start the next stretch.

One thing of note, somewhat related, is that many of the bridges between 6 south and 25 (Milton) have been/are in the process of being widened to the full width for 5 lanes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »