Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
All the EAs (Grand River Bridge and Hespeler-Townline) refer to 10 lanes with HOV from the Grand River through to Townline, but it is my understanding that when they announced the bridge replacement for the Grand River recently, that they explicitly said it would remain 6 lanes for the time being even though the bridge would be widened to accommodate 10 lanes (does someone have a link to articles? I had no luck when i searched for them). I expect we will therefore still only see 6 lanes continue past Hwy 8 for the time being until some other future expansion, maybe when they finally add Hwy 8 access to the 401 west.

Correct that's the intent

https://hwy401grandriverbridges.ca/wp-co...or-web.pdf

But who knows, the widening from Townline to Hespeler is on hold. They had done early earth works on the Hespeler Rd bridges for this year, but the work on that is on hold.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-says-mto/
The formerly dirt portions on the eastbound lanes near Franklin have been paved. They've also started putting the final coat of asphalt on the new portions, starting with a chunk near the Speedside overpass.
Eb lanes are mostly paved. Wb offramp to 8 is down to one lane while they pour the concrete barriers.
Lines are painted on the eb lanes. Might see it open after tonight's closure.
5/6 eb lanes are open at 8 (right lane merges for now), around the bridge, the 6th lane is open.

2 lanes exit at Hespeler, the 4th merges just past the offramp.
I just drove through this morning and it looks like everything is painted for when they fully open it. I might have missed it, but is there any reason why they haven't fully opened the EB section yet? It seemed they just had cones out blocking the right-most lane for no apparent reason.

I'm curious how long it will take drivers to figure out that they don't need to be in the left lane if they're exiting at Hespeler. I'm predicting in a year there will still be a giant queue in the left lane on the 8 exit and that 80% of them will then change lanes to the right once they get onto the 401.

The left lane was blocked by cones this morning too.

Still better flowing than it has been.
(08-26-2019, 07:35 AM)jamincan Wrote: I just drove through this morning and it looks like everything is painted for when they fully open it. I might have missed it, but is there any reason why they haven't fully opened the EB section yet? It seemed they just had cones out blocking the right-most lane for no apparent reason.

I'm curious how long it will take drivers to figure out that they don't need to be in the left lane if they're exiting at Hespeler. I'm predicting in a year there will still be a giant queue in the left lane on the 8 exit and that 80% of them will then change lanes to the right once they get onto the 401.
HAHA.... I will not take that bet against you...You are so right !
Drove through the section eastbound yesterday morning and all six(!) lanes were open! What happened to four lanes plus hov?
Two free HOV Lanes "For The People"! Its just Dougie giving back....

Coke
The left lane EB was closed again this morning past the end of the 4th lane at Hespeler, causing a slowdown in a new location.

Highway traffic is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Westbound lanes have been open this week. I drove them yesterday at 4:30 and didn't drop below 80 between Franklin and 8. Huge improvement.

Looks like they'll be starting the next phase to Townline Rd. this year: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/hwy-401-to-...-1.4946502

Honestly, this seems a little premature. I haven't had any issues with slowdowns in Cambridge since they widened to Hespeler.
(05-20-2020, 12:37 PM)jamincan Wrote: Looks like they'll be starting the next phase to Townline Rd. this year: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/hwy-401-to-...-1.4946502

Honestly, this seems a little premature. I haven't had any issues with slowdowns in Cambridge since they widened to Hespeler.

Lol...

"Premature" is the name of the game for highway widening.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »