Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycling Outside Waterloo Region
3/3 - Cycling in Bermuda

Back to the Rail Trail.

...sometimes paved...

...sometimes not...

...sometimes very not...

(02-21-2018, 07:29 PM)Canard Wrote: 3/3 - Cycling in Bermuda

Back to the Rail Trail.

...sometimes paved...

...sometimes not...

...sometimes very not...

Lovely island. You certainly saw the island from a different perspective with a bike on trails. Thanks for the pics.

Just a political note here; Bermuda changed the law for same sex marriage. No longer is same sex marriage legal, rather it is now changed to domestic partnership.
Looks like a nice place to ride! I can also imagine in the summer that the heat would discourage almost anyone from riding a pedal bike for transportation.
OK, inspired by Canard, here are a few pictures from a bike ride from Cordóba to Almodóvar del Río.

I got a rental mountain bike in central Cordóba. It was pretty good (light). They also had ebikes for the same price (13EUR/day) but I figured it was only 52km round-trip. Also pictured: Portus Romano, which you bike under the rail lines to see. (So many trains on so many lines! I saw at least 3 different passenger trains operating on 3 different lines on my bike ride, including the high speed one running parallel to the regular one.)

[Image: 06738_rental_bike-me.JPG]

This was not the high-speed line (that's walled off), so it only runs at 140.

[Image: 06742_train_speed_limit-me.JPG]

And yes, in Córdoba (pop 328,373) they have segregated bike lanes:

[Image: 06756_bike_infrastructure-la.JPG]

Mostly I was on secondary highways outside town though. Sometimes the roundabouts were a bit scary on the N-series highways. Going to the regional CH-series highways everything was much quieter.

PS: People were riding bicycles in February, but it does get really hot in Andalucia in the summer. Maybe people don't ride their bicycles as much when it's super hot. I dunno. Certainly in Vietnam people ride motorized two-wheeled vehicles much more than bicycles.

PPS: Light-rail related news: I wanted to take the Granada LRT but didn't, because it didn't go where I wanted to. Granada also has a BRT which didn't really seem to be able to avoid traffic. I also learned about Jaén, who built a tram and never put it into paid service (!?).
Love this channel.

The narrator's cadence is curiously hypnotic.
I know, right?! His videos are great. Many evenings are spent before bed with me watching these videos, dreaming of dedicated cycle highways, alongside electrified commuter rail...

A very Pythonesque look at the history and current state of cycling in London, England.

The blue paint idea looked terrible. The new plan looks great. But his point about people loading on to easy/good sections and then getting stuck or killed when the good parts stop hits so close to home.
I didn't take any photos of the actual bike infrastructure, but was down in Cozumel, Mexico last week. For those not familiar, it is an island off the coast of Playa del Carmen. Interestingly enough, they have a paved, segregated bike path around the island (70+km). It is essentially the old road around the island, which has since been replaced with a new road immediately adjacent. Best part is, the bike path is the road closer to the water so there are fantastic views!
[video]https://youtu.be/tv4jZXcKOtk[/video]
I finally got around to putting together a video from our trip to Bermuda in February.

https://youtu.be/TNqvEJB0pPI
(03-16-2018, 02:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: A very Pythonesque look at the history and current state of cycling in London, England.

And the sequel! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNNIB_PdaA

THis is so weird. Your quoted video tag works... but a new, identical tag does not. What gives??
It must be the creation of a new embed that's broken, old ones are in there fine.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »