Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greyhound
Greyhound doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, eh. Anyway:

https://www.tvo.org/article/the-tories-w...comes-next

I'm reflexively against anything from the PC government but in this case I'm like, well, whatever, it's kind of like legislating on an issue that currently has no traction but may be important in the future. Probably actually a good idea.

(10-23-2020, 07:01 PM)plam Wrote: Greyhound doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, eh. Anyway:

I'm reflexively against anything from the PC government but in this case I'm like, well, whatever, it's kind of like legislating on an issue that currently has no traction but may be important in the future. Probably actually a good idea.

I don't think they operated since March anyway. I had to head to London earlier this month and my only choice was VIA rail (Which is only running 1 trip a day now).

Maybe this will pave the way for a direct GO route from KW to Downtown Toronto?
(10-23-2020, 07:05 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 07:01 PM)plam Wrote: Greyhound doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, eh. Anyway:

I don't think they operated since March anyway. I had to head to London earlier this month and my only choice was VIA rail (Which is only running 1 trip a day now).

Not all PC ideas are bad, (their change to charge producers for the recycling program is, IMO a good idea), but given the current Ford administration, I question the implementation.

The current bus relgation system is very problematic, and the lack of any service right now kind of compounds that. I don't know if the PC policy would be good (almost certainly erring on the side of insufficient regulation), but certainly, a change is not a bad thing.
(10-23-2020, 07:05 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:

Down from two a day to London, but it must also be a tough time for VIA.

GO has always been exempt from these rules, but they also historically have been focussed on commuter traffic patterns. Have been some good steps towards all day recently. I don't know if a 0-transfer route makes sense. Would greatly benefit from HOV lanes.
I do hope something works out. As much as I hated Greyhound, its service was certainly needed here (although perhaps that was due to the regulations).
(10-23-2020, 07:23 PM)plam Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 07:05 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I don't think they operated since March anyway. I had to head to London earlier this month and my only choice was VIA rail (Which is only running 1 trip a day now).

Down from two a day to London, but it must also be a tough time for VIA.

GO has always been exempt from these rules, but they also historically have been focussed on commuter traffic patterns. Have been some good steps towards all day recently. I don't know if a 0-transfer route makes sense. Would greatly benefit from HOV lanes.

When I took it the other week, they did seem to have more cars on it though, (At half capacity however since all isle seats were not used) and it seemed to be at or near capacity (but it was Thanksgiving Weekend after all).

It did suck though having to get up at 6 AM to catch it though heading back to KW (I am not a early riser since I work pacific hours), only to have to immediately start work once I got home.
And as expected, Greyhound Canada is now dead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/greyhou...-1.6025276

Totally expected, and a huge deal.

Yet it's barely even being mentioned...we're looking at a near complete collapse of intercity bus service in Canada.

This kind of thing is a huge blow to economic mobility, and further entrenches the car dependency of our society.

And hardly anyone is even talking about it.
It was just announced. How is it barely being mentioned? I just saw it on CBC News Channel.
So they finally made an official announcement? Most people knew it was going to happen because Greyhound has long wanted to get out of Canada and the pandemic gave them a pretty good opportunity to finally do so.
(05-13-2021, 01:01 PM)ac3r Wrote: So they finally made an official announcement? Most people knew it was going to happen because Greyhound has long wanted to get out of Canada and the pandemic gave them a pretty good opportunity to finally do so.

https://www.greyhound.ca/ (If you can read it due to poor choice of font/color)

edit: better link https://news.greyhound.ca/
(05-13-2021, 12:51 PM)creative Wrote: It was just announced. How is it barely being mentioned? I just saw it on CBC News Channel.

The official closure was just the latest.

Routes have been cut to zero for almost a year now.

The fact that KW has had no Greyhound service (and maybe no Coach Canada service either now?) hasn't been mentioned by any pol, newspaper or anything in all that time.

No speculation on when/if it will return, no discussion of how or if the intercity bus service will recover, or whether our current regulator framework is acceptable or even functional. This is a meaningful problem, even for me, I've taken greyhound numerous times to get home and to visit family and friends.

I can afford to take a car, but it's annoying and more inconvenient at times.

This is a major social problem, and nobody has said boo about it.
I used to take Greyhound from KW to Ottawa to visit my parents. Lately I’ve either driven or taken the train, but it seems weird to imagine that there would be no bus service. Is there no other company doing the Toronto-Ottawa run? KW to Toronto is covered by GO pretty well but I don’t think we’re going to see a GO bus in Ottawa any time soon.

(05-13-2021, 01:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I used to take Greyhound from KW to Ottawa to visit my parents. Lately I’ve either driven or taken the train, but it seems weird to imagine that there would be no bus service. Is there no other company doing the Toronto-Ottawa run? KW to Toronto is covered by GO pretty well but I don’t think we’re going to see a GO bus in Ottawa any time soon.

GO's mandate is to operate in the GTHA only...and is a Toronto centric regional transit operator...and frankly sucks at operating buses.

We need a complete rework of the regulatory framework...built from scratch.

Frankly, I don't think we're going to see it...it would take investment...and we've spent all our money on roads.
The way this province operates it'll only get worse. The OPC will continue to push for highways and the Liberals will do nothing as they usually do. NDP and GPC will continue to not matter whatsoever thanks to Duverger's law. Then you'll either be rich enough to afford a car (and will need to be very rich to be sure you can afford electric) or be screwed on both mobility and housing. The way things are going, Ontario will just become The Golden Horseshoe and will be Open For Business, while the rest of the province suffers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »