Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
165 King St W | 3 fl | Completed
Posted this article in the startup district thread, but also posting here since one of the companies is going to be leasing space here.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/899...kitchener/

We're overdue for a pic of the progress on this one ....
There's not a lot of visible progress. I think they're largely working on the interior and the doors have been closed the times I've walked past. The front is still almost completely blocked by scaffolding. There's nothing really to show from the side/back (Gaukel road).
This is what it currently looks like from King St. Third floor now has a roof and walls (can't see those from the photo though) but still working on the white brick façade. Interior renovation of first and second floors has been very slow, based on occasional glimpses through open doors, but it seems to be getting closer.

Façade work is finally in progress.

Do we have renderings for this (commercial?) space?
Earlier in the thread …

(06-08-2017, 09:51 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: That image is now on a huge banner on the building itself now too:
[Image: Render.jpg]

Any confirmed tenants?
(11-27-2018, 10:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: Any confirmed tenants?

The arcade/beer place in the basement?
So, uh

Looking at the date of the first post, construction here started May 2017. According to the OneHundred Victoria thread, groun was broken there 3 months prior.

Why on Earth has it taken them as long to add one floor to a building as it took for a 17 story condo + underground parking garage and 4 story podium to be built? This will be going on 2 years by the time it's finished. To add one story?
Yes, the glacial pace of the work has been noted before.
It's not a major developer, nor is a major construction company doing the work. It's really a labour of love for the owner, his contribution to the DTK renewal. While I would have liked to see this progress faster, I can accept this. The work never stopped, it just moved slowly.
(11-28-2018, 01:52 AM)GtwoK Wrote: So, uh

Looking at the date of the first post, construction here started May 2017. According to the OneHundred Victoria thread, groun was broken there 3 months prior.

Why on Earth has it taken them as long to add one floor to a building as it took for a 17 story condo + underground parking garage and 4 story podium to be built? This will be going on 2 years by the time it's finished. To add one story?

The work was stopped for a while last year due to labour and safety violations around asbestos removal.

I'm not sure for how long or what impact it would have had, but it contributes to the length of time it is taking. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/768...enovation/

Also, the owners are not an experienced development company (Jay Shah's background is tech, I'm not sure what his father's is) so that may contribute as well. If the classic "fast good cheap pick two" PM triangle is true, perhaps they've sacrificed fast.

Faire will be the new tenant for this building.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/908...-s-growth/

We are taking the third and second floors and a big chunk of the first floor," said Cortes. "We moved four times since last year. I don't want to keep moving so better that we secure this space there with the growth we expect next year."
Wow, crazy growth for them! Cool to see an American start up setting up shop here rather than the other way around.

I wonder if the other part of the first floor will be retail?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »