Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
(12-19-2021, 12:19 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: The CN objection is here stupidly unbelievable. CIBC square in Toronto is a massive building going up on both sides of the railway. 

Also there's a hill between this lot and the railyard, I doubt a derailed train would come anywhere near knocking the foundation of the building, nor would a train be going through here with any amount of speed.

I think the development is intended to excavate much of the hill. My guess is the footings would be more or less level with the yard.

That being said, the objection is still absurd on its face. Maybe if it were a high speed rail line but it isn’t and never can be. Even if it were, it’s easy to mitigate: just build a suitably engineered concrete barrier along the tracks to redirect any derailments along the line and keep them away from the foundation.

I wonder what is really going on here? They must have decided they don’t want the development, but for some reason they’re presenting absurd reasons. Do they really believe this is a possible scenario? Do they want to buy the land themselves for cheap? Is there some other reason they can’t or don’t want to present in public?

I suppose in principle I should at least entertain for a moment the idea that a progressive collapse of the type envisioned is really possible and infeasible to prevent except by not building the development, but it just doesn’t compute.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - by ijmorlan - 12-19-2021, 05:11 PM