Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
(12-17-2020, 03:42 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 10:01 AM)Acitta Wrote: I have lived here 19 years and have never felt the need to own a car. Bicycling and public transit have always been sufficient. There are a lot of people with families who don't own cars. I see them on the buses and on bicycles.

I think it really depends on a persons or families situation. For some, walking/biking/transit will work fine. For others, it just won't.

If I were to look at my situation:

Regarding my work: I work shifts, 7 times I have to start by 6am another 7 times I finish at 12:00am -- no bus service. Walking not an option, biking not a real option either (I have bad asthma, which activates during very warm weather and anything below 12ºC). That leaves me using a cab (about $40 per trip)  for at least 16x out of 4 weeks (13 periods).

...snip for brevity...

As for other drawbacks of not having a car and just using transit/cabs/bikes/walking for day to day things like work, appointments, grocery shopping, etc, is the amount of time all that it takes is pretty significant.

But having a car for this family works out to 1/3 the cost of the alternative.

Certainly replacing a daily commute with a taxi because there is no other possible alternative makes no sense whatsoever--not financially, and not in terms of transport policy (taxi's generate MORE VMT than owned vehicles...even if they generate less parking). When I lived in New Hamburg, I drove my car every day, it was my only reasonable option.

But most people are not in that situation. I no longer am. I live downtown, and have very good access to transit. I am also setup for and comfortable riding for many of my errands. And I have car share and car rentals for occasional trips outside the city.

But in some cases I still feel limited by my lack of a car. There are many parts of the city which are difficult or dangerous for me to get too. And don't even get me started about winter. I can totally see why a car may seem like a necessity even in a TOD. I choose not to have a car, but ultimately, that's a choice I make that has real costs.

I do think that if more people made the cost analysis of owning a car, especially, if they are not using it for a daily commute, they might rethink whether it is worth the money, but I totally understand that in our city, the way it is right now, giving up a vehicle is not without cost. But detaching parking from the cost of renting can go a long way to making the cost of owning a vehicle more visible, I wish they would do so here, but given the suburban nature, I doubt it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 12-17-2020, 08:38 PM