Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
(05-30-2017, 12:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: But regardless of the exact design, there should be an indoor path connecting all the buildings at the main floor level. It’s absurd not to do so with a master-planned area like this in our climate.

Considering that all 4 buildings share a single parking garage, I highly expect that there will be some indoor connection on the first underground level.

(05-30-2017, 12:55 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Yep, lots of $$$, and even more $$$ to do it without a disruption to ION (ie, have to build an entire new TPSS and have it online, before the existing one can be removed - wasteful).

Sorry, why does the TPSS need to be moved? Isn't it on the other side of Block Line?

Yes, it is. Unless I'm mistaken, Canard's comment about the impossibility of development was in reference to the original vision which shows a building across Block Line, in the location where the TPSS now exists.
(05-30-2017, 05:08 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:55 PM)KevinL Wrote: Sorry, why does the TPSS need to be moved? Isn't it on the other side of Block Line?

Yes, it is. Unless I'm mistaken, Canard's comment about the impossibility of development was in reference to the original vision which shows a building across Block Line, in the location where the TPSS now exists.

Ah.

Yes, that's problematic; not just because of the TPSS placement, but the ground around it. I think there would be more floodplain issues in that case.
(05-30-2017, 12:31 PM)urbd Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: ?? I thought everybody was big on the continuous street wall!

But regardless of the exact design, there should be an indoor path connecting all the buildings at the main floor level. It’s absurd not to do so with a master-planned area like this in our climate.

Yes, a continuous street wall composed of many different buildings! not just one continuous facade.

And disagree about the indoor path, they have been proven ineffective except in very specific scenarios (PATH). The whole point is to promote active and welcoming streetscapes even in the middle of the winter. Yes it can be done.

That’s a pretty blanket statement for a concept so general as “an indoor connection”. What exactly is wrong with indoor paths? There are only three things that distinguish indoor paths from outdoor: (1) roof; (2) walls; (3) climate control. Which of these do you claim makes them ineffective?

And what’s so great about being required to go outside to get from one store to another, in this climate? Sure, having the convenient option is good, and frequently very enjoyable, but required?

Also side note, even in California climate this can be screwed up. Once while visiting, I had the distinct displeasure of being rained on … while riding an escalator. I don’t mind that the malls are more open in California, but it doesn’t take a lot of smarts to realize that rain on an escalator should not be something people have to worry about.

As to the street wall, build this development as four buildings with four facades, but continuous instead of with gaps between them, if it is thought that variety is desirable (which is perfectly reasonable in my book).
(05-30-2017, 12:55 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Yep, lots of $$$, and even more $$$ to do it without a disruption to ION (ie, have to build an entire new TPSS and have it online, before the existing one can be removed - wasteful).

Sorry, why does the TPSS need to be moved? Isn't it on the other side of Block Line?

The picture shows development in the area where the TPSS currently sits. I suppose they could build over top of it... like those Bell "fake houses"?
(05-30-2017, 07:31 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 12:31 PM)urbd Wrote: Yes, a continuous street wall composed of many different buildings! not just one continuous facade.

And disagree about the indoor path, they have been proven ineffective except in very specific scenarios (PATH). The whole point is to promote active and welcoming streetscapes even in the middle of the winter. Yes it can be done.

That’s a pretty blanket statement for a concept so general as “an indoor connection”. What exactly is wrong with indoor paths? There are only three things that distinguish indoor paths from outdoor: (1) roof; (2) walls; (3) climate control. Which of these do you claim makes them ineffective?

And what’s so great about being required to go outside to get from one store to another, in this climate? Sure, having the convenient option is good, and frequently very enjoyable, but required?

Also side note, even in California climate this can be screwed up. Once while visiting, I had the distinct displeasure of being rained on … while riding an escalator. I don’t mind that the malls are more open in California, but it doesn’t take a lot of smarts to realize that rain on an escalator should not be something people have to worry about.

As to the street wall, build this development as four buildings with four facades, but continuous instead of with gaps between them, if it is thought that variety is desirable (which is perfectly reasonable in my book).

I think indoor connections can detract from street life in general. In this particular context there's not necessarily a lot of street life to detract from. It may be not the best thing in the context of an otherwise-lively street. Sainte-Catherine in Montreal does have, for the most part, indoor connections running underneath it, but yet is still lively. King St in Kitchener is perhaps precarious enough that indoor connections are not so good.

Part of the issue is that they're not at street level, where street life "ought" to happen.

They were probably happy to have the rain in California but it is not helpful while riding escalators.

I needed something at a store at the "Toronto Premium Outlets". There are a lot of things about that collection of stores that baffle me, but in particular that it's trying to be a California-style mall, in Toronto, with no indoor connections between the stores. ?!
I've been mulling over the idea of a continuous indoor connection for these four proposed towers and I can't think of any good rationale. Although I could be wrong, it does not appear from the renders that the project will include a shared amenities area, which would be the strongest argument for a link. I suppose a link above ground level might be possible, but anything at grade would reduce the "green space" between the towers (which seems to be intended as publicly accessible space). I just have trouble seeing the link as useful, or even desireable.

I give up: what is the significance of 'Virerra'? The last name of one of the owners of the developer, maybe? It doesn't seem to be a very common last name at all.

I think the word looks good written, but sounds not-so-good spoken. I guess alliteration can be good, but I don't see how this qualifies as a 'village.'

Those are just thoughts about the name. I think the development looks excellent.
(05-31-2017, 10:50 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I give up: what is the significance of 'Virerra'? The last name of one of the owners of the developer, maybe? It doesn't seem to be a very common last name at all.

I think the word looks good written, but sounds not-so-good spoken. I guess alliteration can be good, but I don't see how this qualifies as a 'village.'

Those are just thoughts about the name. I think the development looks excellent.

No idea on the significance, but Virerra is a horrible name. Looks awkward written and hard to pronounce. Compare to SIXO (which comes from 607 King, I suppose?)
Yes. The developers had been internally calling the existing building "six-oh" for some number of years and decided to use that name for the new project.
I agree, "Sixo" is a very good name. It takes a second to understand where it comes from, and once you do you don't forget.

I imagine I would mispronounce "Virerra" incorrectly because I can not really make a trilled 'r'. I think it would sound a bit odd coming from most English speakers.

Not a good name.
(05-31-2017, 11:05 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I agree, "Sixo" is a very good name. It takes a second to understand where it comes from, and once you do you don't forget.

I imagine I would mispronounce "Virerra" incorrectly because I can not really make a trilled 'r'. I think it would sound a bit odd coming from most English speakers.

Not a good name.

Not sure I'm hearing it.  "Virerra" - rhymes with "riviera", no?
I thought it rhymed with Carrera.

That too.
How can it rhyme with both? There's no 'I' after the first 'R,' so I don't think it could rhyme with 'riviera.'

'Carerra,' 'Ferrero,' 'Virerra,' these are proper nouns (I'm assuming Virerra is a surname, and not just made out of thin air) from other languages and are a bit hard to pronounce in English. It's not the end of the world; I just don't think it's a good name for a development.

I'd feel better knowing for sure it was honouring an actual person (I think Cortés was, for instance). If they did pick it for the name's actual qualities, they could have done much better.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »