Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
450-460 Weber St. N | Various 1fl to 12fl | Proposed
(05-18-2017, 01:20 PM)MidTowner Wrote: That's definitely true, but a transfer/connection is a big barrier psychologically to a lot of people. I know many people who, either because they've experienced poor frequency or just irrational preference, won't consider a trip by transit that requires a transfer.

Such users will be ill-served by the grid system we're building, then. :/

We're talking about a site less than a kilometre from a LRT station (others have said "walking distance," and it is), that is practically inaccessible on foot for many people because it is such an unpleasant walk. I don't think the answer should be to tell those people to take the bus to the train, adding time to their trip.

I don't think the reason we have buses on route 7 is to shuttle people to Ion because King Street North is so unpleasant to walk on. We should be making it easier to get to the stations.
(05-18-2017, 02:26 PM)MidTowner Wrote: We're talking about a site less than a kilometre from a LRT station (others have said "walking distance," and it is), that is practically inaccessible on foot for many people because it is such an unpleasant walk. I don't think the answer should be to tell those people to take the bus to the train, adding time to their trip.

I don't think the reason we have buses on route 7 is to shuttle people to Ion because King Street North is so unpleasant to walk on. We should be making it easier to get to the stations.

So much this.  Sadly the public consultation for Weber St. has already happened, and there were so many drivers complaining about it, the region has basically given up on taking space from cars to make it a better trip for active modes.
Given the amount of development slated for the area bound by King St. North, Weber St. North and the Expressway, improved walkways to LRT stations should be considered in the near future.  It would be in the best interest of the Ion and GRT.  Don't forget the Waterloo Inn redevelopment project will come about one day possibly bringing about hundreds of residents and/or workers.
No one is going to be walking north to ION from this development.

What are the destinations that people could possibly want to get to?
If they're going south to downtown, then they'll catch the 7 south, and transfer in Uptown. The 7 will be every 10 minutes. By the time you get to the ION station, a 7 will pass you going the way you want to go, and you will likely catch an earlier train in Uptown.
If you're going to UW, then the 201 will already give you a direct trip.
If you're going to Northfield or R&T Park stations, then yes, maybe you'll want to take ION. But I imagine those will be very few riders.

Sure there's the anti-transfer mentality, but people are still rational actors. Very few would prefer a transfer-less trip that takes 15 minutes longer because of a long walk and a circuitous route.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »