Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
87 Regina St S | 81m | 25 fl | Proposed
This looks pretty cool. That being said, I wonder if this render is not really doing it justice? Looks like a storm is coming in.

Article with more details on how project, did anyone attend the meeting on Monday night?

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...-waterloo/
Noticed today that the zoning by-law sign flyer this development is no longer publicly visible on site.
Waterloo approves 25-storey tower in uptown

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...in-uptown/
I like this part best "[Councillor Vieth] is concerned about intensification and how it will affect the nearby uptown square in the future."

I mean, maybe there will be a regular community of people who use it?

Casting a shadow on the public square also seems more like a boon than otherwise. I understand shadow concerns around residences (I'd be plenty irritated if I lost my garden), and even things like parks, but having the square shaded seems more likely to me to encourage people to spend time there.
As you know, the Kitchener City Hall public square, which is shaded by Kitchener City Hall, is notoriously dead and quiet throughout the year due to the shade. /s
How can one be concerned that a tower "could" cast shadows on the square?  Either it will or it will not.  Whether it's relevant either way, I leave to others.

She may have even meant a metaphorical shadow, that the square's patrons will suddenly be intimidated by a nearby highrise. Which is just as silly a statement.
"could" is the word of the reporter, not the Councillor, who said:

Quote:“Is our public square going to be in the shadows of all buildings down the road?” said Vieth

It's just a hypothetical question, in the absence of seeing a shadow impact study.
Now that you mentioned it, shadow studies are typically a component of these development proposals.

Appendix A of the Urban Design Brief

From the report:
Quote:2.3 SHADOW IMPACT ANALYSIS

The proposed development is fairly removed from low-rise residential land uses, however it is in close proximity to substantial public spaces (Waterloo Public Square and the Laurel Trail City Centre Link and Cenotaph Park). As such, sun shadow diagrams have been prepared to better understand any shadow impacts on these public spaces as a result of the overall development. 

The Shadow Studies are included as Appendix A to this Design Brief. In our opinion, the diagrams included under Appendix A demonstrate that the height and location of the building will not generate unacceptable amounts of shadows over adjacent lands. A more detailed analysis is included as follows:

March 21/September 21: For the March and September times, there is minimal impact on public open space during each of the tested intervals. The majority of shadows fall on the commercial properties along King Street. During the 10:00 am timeframe there is some shadowing on Waterloo Public Square, however by noon this area is no longer impacted. Nor is this area impacted by any other time period tested. Similarly, during the 4:00 pm time frame, the Laurel Trail City Centre Link and Cenotaph Park experience partial shadows. For all remaining time periods this area is not impacted.

June 21: For the June 21 times shadows from the proposed development fall, for the most part, onto the subject site, surrounding buildings and the surrounding road network. There is limited to no shadow impacts to either public space. 

December 21: During the December timeframes the shadows are at their longest, however, people are often less likely to use outdoor open space at this time. Therefore, typically greater shadow impacts are acceptable than during spring, fall and summer seasons. Notwithstanding, Waterloo Public Square does have a lot of winter users so shadows studies were completed to test the impacts. It was confirmed that the proposed development does not generate any shadows on the Public Square, or on the Laurel Creek Trail/Park. We note that at 10:00 am Waterloo Square is already impacted by shadows from existing development in the area.

In summary, the shadow renderings prepared for the proposed development illustrates acceptable shadow impacts on nearby public spaces and has no impact on low rise residential development in the broader area. 

TLDR; shadows seem to primarily affect Waterloo Town Square in the morning in spring and fall.
As long as shadows don't effect the square continually all day, this will really give the square more urban ambiance and significance. The further from feeling like the old mall parking lot the better, for me at least.
(06-23-2018, 08:54 AM)Watdot Wrote: As long as shadows don't effect the square continually all day, this will really give the square more urban ambiance and significance.  The further from feeling like the old mall parking lot the better, for me at least.

I was just thinking about how it used to be a parking lot the other day. It’s hard now to imagine that the space was completely filled with cars, and such a small number of them, really. Even on a quiet day there are probably usually more people enjoying the square at any typical moment than had their cars parked there previously.
Great to see this move a couple steps closer to becoming reality.

(06-23-2018, 08:54 AM)Watdot Wrote: As long as shadows don't effect the square continually all day, this will really give the square more urban ambiance and significance.  The further from feeling like the old mall parking lot the better, for me at least.

This made me think, does anyone remember the old mall itself? It's sure changed a lot... https://imgur.com/a/oszkv9h
I remember it. Anchored by Liquidation World, as I recall!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »