Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
87 Regina St S | 81m | 25 fl | Proposed
A bit weird to design it for 10, given it's forbidden to go above 3-4 depending on height, with the proposal at King and Bridgeport being the only one to get an exception (to go to 6, I think?).

I hadn't even thought of that. Or do they have their own zoning amendment?
Maybe it was designed thinking that uptown Waterloo would logically embrace a bit of density along the main street.
(01-23-2019, 06:56 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe it was designed thinking that uptown Waterloo would logically embrace a bit of density along the main street.

What was the mood around 1990 when I understand that building to have been built? I know it was already there in 1993.
(01-23-2019, 08:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 06:56 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe it was designed thinking that uptown Waterloo would logically embrace a bit of density along the main street.

What was the mood around 1990 when I understand that building to have been built? I know it was already there in 1993.

In the 90s there was no desire to build anything with height/density in the uptown core. Waterloo has always had this attitude for some reason. I never understood it, because it's not like there is anything uptown on the main street. There are a few blocks of shops, then nothing.
(01-22-2019, 06:02 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A bit weird to design it for 10, given it's forbidden to go above 3-4 depending on height, with the proposal at King and Bridgeport being the only one to get an exception (to go to 6, I think?).

(01-23-2019, 09:59 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: What was the mood around 1990 when I understand that building to have been built? I know it was already there in 1993.

In the 90s there was no desire to build anything with height/density in the uptown core. Waterloo has always had this attitude for some reason. I never understood it, because it's not like there is anything uptown on the main street. There are a few blocks of shops, then nothing.

Yeah, they didn't expect those rules to be around forever, and I don't think they will be. Over time, more developments will ask for exceptions, then the rule will be increased to 6 storeys instead of 4, and then maybe scrapped altogether. As long as developments provide decent stepbacks that promote human scale (at anything from 3 to 7 storeys) it should be fine.
According to this Record article and Emporis link, this was approved by the council? Construction end date is supposedly 2020, although the start date of 2018 is obviously wrong.

Record: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/869...in-uptown/
Emporis: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/140783...loo-canada

An interesting elevation perspective file can be seen here: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...ctives.pdf

I do hope this goes ahead. It would look great uptown. Quadrangle Architects is a good firm that has built a plethora of high rises in Toronto, so I'm confident this building would look great if constructed.

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Is the parking for this in the podium?  Looking at that first render on the first page it kind of looks like it might be.  They definitely don't look like units in the podium
(01-23-2019, 10:17 AM)ac3r Wrote: According to this Record article and Emporis link, this was approved by the council? Construction end date is supposedly 2020, although the start date of 2018 is obviously wrong.

Record: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/869...in-uptown/
Emporis: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/140783...loo-canada

An interesting elevation perspective file can be seen here: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...ctives.pdf

I do hope this goes ahead. It would look great uptown. Quadrangle Architects is a good firm that has built a plethora of high rises in Toronto, so I'm confident this building would look great if constructed.

FYI, those are the old elevations, not the final ones.
updated elevation here: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...terial.pdf

unfortunately it's just spandrel glass Sad
better than just a blank wall i guess

Come on now, that would never happen Wink
(01-23-2019, 10:45 AM)Legend Wrote: Long time lurker, first time poster...

Is the parking for this in the podium?  Looking at that first render on the first page it kind of looks like it might be.  They definitely don't look like units in the podium

Yes, podium parking as it is becoming the norm in KW (One Vic, 100/Garment, DTK, Charlie West all will have parking podiums)... it's just more economical than digging too deep for parking. Plus the high watertable issues.
This is great.  Intensification is needed so badly to bring the people back to uptown.  I'd live to see the parking garage moved; still needed but should never had a main street presence, premium real estate.
I wonder how easily part of the garage's ground floor could be converted to commercial space. Sacrifice a few spots for a more unified street front.

(01-24-2019, 10:24 AM)DiDiUpTown Wrote: This is great.  Intensification is needed so badly to bring the people back to uptown.  I'd live to see the parking garage moved; still needed but should never had a main street presence, premium real estate.

I've always thought that at the very least, they could add a couple retail units on the ground floor facing King Street, and maybe a rooftop restaurant with a big patio overlooking the square, wouldn't it be cool?
(01-24-2019, 03:20 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 10:24 AM)DiDiUpTown Wrote: This is great.  Intensification is needed so badly to bring the people back to uptown.  I'd love to see the parking garage moved; still needed but should never had a main street presence, premium real estate.

I've always thought that at the very least, they could add a couple retail units on the ground floor facing King Street, and maybe a rooftop restaurant with a big patio overlooking the square, wouldn't it be cool?

That would be fantastic!  Dream big!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »