Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
87 Regina St S | 81m | 25 fl | Proposed
(07-02-2018, 08:38 AM)jamincan Wrote: I remember it. Anchored by Liquidation World, as I recall!

Liquidation World was much later. In the late 70s it was K-Mart and Zehrs.

I still remember the basement, with the bowling alley.
Don't forget the pet and hobby store
I remember working at cyclepath on King and Erb and walking to A&W for lunch. Long time ago.
The city is repairing the sidewalks along Regina (and the surface asphalt).

It seems like an odd choice given that all this new concrete will get trashed and redone during construction:

Granted the sidewalks (and asphalt) were it horrible shape along there, but couldn't they have saved some resources and money by grinding trip hazards down and patching holes until after construction and prioritize another project area?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-04-2018, 09:10 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The city is repairing the sidewalks along Regina (and the surface asphalt).

I noticed that they replaced some of the short brick sidewalk portions closer to Erb with concrete too.
I guess the alternative would be, leave the sidewalk in poor shape until construction starts at some point in the future. Given that it is right next to City Hall, I could imagine that someone who was upset about the poor sidewalk conditions wouldn't have far to go to complain!

Driving past this the other day, it looks like not much was done around this development property — most of the replaced sidewalks were further along regina.
I didn't see this image posted before, but some added King St height with the Regina tower:

And a couple of others

Thanks for posting, never seen him views from King St before.
Looks like they've added some windows to the almost completely blank sides! I don't find that building on King to be particularly nice or worthy of an addition like that. Why not build something totally new?
I hadnt noticed the sides. Nice catch.

I wondered the same. Think it was a negotiation with the city and developer? Keep something that already exists to get an approval.

(01-22-2019, 01:20 PM)Lens Wrote: Looks like they've added some windows to the almost completely blank sides! I don't find that building on King to be particularly nice or worthy of an addition like that. Why not build something totally new?

(01-22-2019, 02:01 PM)Spokes Wrote: I hadnt noticed the sides.  Nice catch.

I wondered the same.  Think it was a negotiation with the city and developer?  Keep something that already exists to get an approval.

Yes this was an issue a few months ago! I think it was discussed here, but there are diagrams somewhere comparing the previous vs updated facade. Definitely a positive change.
(01-22-2019, 01:20 PM)Lens Wrote: Looks like they've added some windows to the almost completely blank sides! I don't find that building on King to be particularly nice or worthy of an addition like that. Why not build something totally new?

The existing 2 storey building on King was structurally designed for the addition of more floors in the future (10 storeys actually), and it is relatively new, so it just makes financial sense to somewhat follow that plan.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »