Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Boardwalk at Ira Needles
Don't they have a location up the road at Erb?

Homesense and Marshall's share a location on Fairway.
Right, it's a Winners up the road anyways, not a Homesense. My bad.
HomeSense at The Boardwalk 'anticipated' to open in May 2019 - https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/whatson-sto...-may-2019/

HomeSense at The Boardwalk 'anticipated' to open in May 2019 - https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/whatson-sto...-may-2019/
That looks like about 60% surface parking ...
If not more.

Is there a timeline for the new (medical?) building at the north end?

As much as it's just another big box plaza the Central "Village" section and the building to the West in the map, South in real life is not terrible. It's almost urban feeling. Almost.
It's definitely a huge improvement over the Sportsworld style of this sort of development.
(03-08-2019, 10:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's definitely a huge improvement over the Sportsworld style of this sort of development.

Is it?

Maybe the central portions are, but the big box stores seem largely the same inaccessible hostile development

I might call it a "small" improvement.

Even keeping the same ratio of parking, but clustering the stores would have been better.  That would have achieved at least something like an outdoor version of Connestoga Mall.
(03-09-2019, 09:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 10:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's definitely a huge improvement over the Sportsworld style of this sort of development.

Is it?

Maybe the central portions are, but the big box stores seem largely the same inaccessible hostile development

I might call it a "small" improvement.

Even keeping the same ratio of parking, but clustering the stores would have been better.  That would have achieved at least something like an outdoor version of Connestoga Mall.

They should have just built one huge long building along and immediately next to Ira Needles (in phases, presumably, like the actual development). Put the parking behind the building. It would be quite walkable for people in the adjacent residential areas, one could walk between the various services in weather-protected corridors, and it wouldn’t really be any different for accessing by car — just park in the parking lot close to where one needs to go and walk in.

I don’t know why everybody is so hot for these multiple-building developments. How is it better to have to go outside through a parking lot to walk from one store to another?
Because people drive from one store to another Wink
And here I am using my legs like a sucker.

(03-09-2019, 10:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: Because people drive from one store to another Wink

Joke all you want, but its actually difficult to go from one store to another, the store names are not visible from the sidewalk.  I actually had to walk to my car just to see where the next store I was going to was.  Driving from one store to another is the intended behaviour.
I can't really see anyone who needs something at, say, Wal Mart, and wanting to stop at the bank, walking between the two. It would feel unsafe and, as noted, there isn't proper wayfinding for that. For sure clients are supposed to drive around. This is a big box development.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »