Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Boardwalk at Ira Needles
The Boardwalk at Ira Needles Boulevard
Developer: INCC Corp. (formerly Lacewood & Sandberry)

Rens Pets Depot has opened a second location in the region a few weeks ago at The Boardwalk near Milestones.
Interesting public art was installed earlier this month by artist Ron Baird in two of the roundabouts at The Boardwalk.

[Image: tPFfuS5m.jpg]

[Image: norbkRQI.jpg]

[Image: QjTaLgvk.jpg]

[Image: 6H7s8APx.jpg]

All images from The Boardwalk's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Board...0868625511
Pretty cool, hopefully they will not add further distraction to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians as they use the roundabouts.
I like the new sculptures, specifically the one over on the Lowe's side of the property.

It strikes me as very Kronos-esque.  Big Grin
Not sure if it was mentioned before or not, but at The Boardwalk they have started construction of the "Central Village". Not sure if anything specific is planning to open in it, but based on the map <http://www.the-boardwalk.ca/location/> it appears to be smaller stores.
3 storeys right next to the bus terminal area.

As much as The Boardwalk is an evil desolate suburban big box mall...
It's surprisingly accessable by transit and walking!

Are they a mix of office and retail space?
The central area is good for transit, yes. It is a SURPRISINGLY long walk to Walmart or Lowe's or the Landmark, however.
(08-26-2016, 03:54 PM)jgsz Wrote: Are they a mix of office and retail space?

My guess is retail on the ground, offices above.

(08-26-2016, 04:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: The central area is good for transit, yes. It is a SURPRISINGLY long walk to Walmart or Lowe's or the Landmark, however.

But it's also a surprisingly not terrible walk to the stores across the parking lot in the vicinity of the transit mall.

With the new roundabout at the north end of the mall, I believe GRT will be realigning routes to reliably have stops on The Boardwalk near the Medical Centre. (Currently only a few have stops near there, and not in both directions)
(08-26-2016, 03:41 PM)Markster Wrote: 3 storeys right next to the bus terminal area.  

Biked there once from uptown. Was terrible!
(08-26-2016, 05:36 PM)plam Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 03:41 PM)Markster Wrote: 3 storeys right next to the bus terminal area.  

Biked there once from uptown. Was terrible!

A friend of mine biked there too, and when arrived had pants torn and a story of great hardship.  

Although, he was mostly staying on trails and avoiding major roads so went through monarch woods. 

I bike past frequently, it isn't too bad for cyclists comfortable tangling with roundabout traffic. But very far from 8-80.  

Walking might be a stretch, but transit is good.   It is probably as good as such developments ever get.
When I said "by transit and walking", to be clear, I meant the two in combination! Transit to the terminal, and then walking around once you're there. An urban mecca it is not, but "surprisingly not terrible" it is.

(08-26-2016, 06:27 PM)Markster Wrote: When I said "by transit and walking", to be clear, I meant the two in combination!  Transit to the terminal, and then walking around once you're there.  An urban mecca it is not, but "surprisingly not terrible" it is.

Ahh, fair enough.  Yes.  Although in other places I've found it difficult to walk between adjacent stores because the names are only visible from the parking lot.  The transit terminal is far better by comparison.
(08-26-2016, 04:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: The central area is good for transit, yes. It is a SURPRISINGLY long walk to Walmart or Lowe's or the Landmark, however.

Take the bus?  Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »