Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gilt restaurant * bar* lounge
I ate there. Food was great. I felt they should have two different sizes for the portions, same as they have now and a smaller true tapas size about half as big and about half the price, but really, I'm nitpicking. the place was great.

The fence for Gilt's patio is being installed. I was there last month and enjoyed the food - I think it has improved since they opened.
I was told by the owner their patio should be open and functional by next week. I think it will be a pretty cool spot and hopefully liven up that corner of Downtown.
(05-14-2015, 01:15 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I was told by the owner their patio should be open and functional by next week. I think it will be a pretty cool spot and hopefully liven up that corner of Downtown.

Being mostly in the shade (my preference on a hot afternoon).  I just hope that it isn't too windy a spot. 
(05-14-2015, 01:15 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I was told by the owner their patio should be open and functional by next week. I think it will be a pretty cool spot and hopefully liven up that corner of Downtown.

I always enjoyed that patio when it was the Honest Lawyer
Wind was a concern when I was speaking with the owner (who is an old acquaintance of mine), they are going to monitor it and hope for the best! But you are correct with the shade, should be amazing during the humid summer days we have in store for us. That tree in front should fill in nicely and hopefully provide some protection from the elements. 
It would be wonderful if they did an exterior upgrade on this building. This old "CanadaTrust" building is at least 50 years old.

Not sure what the interior of the building is like concerning needed modernization that would attract long term tenants. Anyone know how this building is set up as far as modernization?

Perimeter Development recently bought it I believe and had plans to modernize it.
(05-16-2015, 10:32 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Not sure what the interior of the building is like concerning needed modernization that would attract long term tenants. Anyone know how this building is set up as far as modernization?

It's a sponsored piece, but this article gives a pretty good description of what they're doing:
Hiding in plain sight – creative office space

The space isn't quite as trendy as the Tannery or Breithaupt, but from what I hear they've been successful in converting it from a dated, generic office tower to desirable high-tech office space. Rents more than doubling ($4-$6/sq ft to $12.50-$14 according to the article) would bear that out.
I would extend that to has successfully modernized it. It's become a pretty popular building for tech companies, with both MappedIn and Square having recently moved in. Others too, but those are the first that come to mind. The floors with tech companies have had the drop ceilings removed, converting it into loft-like space. Perimeter is also the reason Gilt and Pure moved in, they upgraded the first floor significantly to attract some choice tenants.
It's actually really nice inside now, compared to what it used to look like (which was dark and depressing). You can see some photos here: http://perimeterdevelopment.com/projects...ng-street/
I think that the old Waterloo Trust tower (yes, I'm that old) has aged exceptionally well. With the most recent updates, it looks great, imho.
Aging gracefully by itself, not so much. I remember working in the building some 30 years ago and it was already dark and depressing. The overall structure has stayed relevant, though, and it is now (again) a desirable place to work and visit.

(04-09-2016, 05:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Aging gracefully by itself, not so much.  I remember working in the building some 30 years ago and it was already dark and depressing.  The overall structure has stayed relevant, though, and it is now (again) a desirable place to work and visit.

I was actually just thinking of the exterior, now that it has been rejuvenated.  I've never been inside, except for the old banking hall and, now, Gilt.
(04-09-2016, 05:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 05:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Aging gracefully by itself, not so much.  I remember working in the building some 30 years ago and it was already dark and depressing.  The overall structure has stayed relevant, though, and it is now (again) a desirable place to work and visit.

I was actually just thinking of the exterior, now that it has been rejuvenated.  I've never been inside, except for the old banking hall and, now, Gilt.

Exterior, yes, I will agree there.  It was looking a bit old (it is old, after all!) but with the refresh it looks very fresh without any major changes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »