Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gilt restaurant * bar* lounge
Gilt
Restaurant * Bar * Lounge

305 King St West, Kitchener

http://www.giltrestaurant.ca

should be open in the next couple of weeks and it sounds promising.  Small plates, cocktails, craft beer and wine.

Do they have a menu posted somewhere?
The only thing I've seen so far is this Rare Republic interview.

http://rarerepublic.com/features/chat-gilt-girls.html
Official opening date: September 17!
Looks like even though their grand opening is listed on their site as tomorrow, they're open tonight.

Did anyone go?
Who's checked this place out?
I enjoyed it, went last week. Good use of space, nice ambience. Staff were eager and accommodating. Some conscious and wise choices were made to cut costs down, didn't effect my dining experience.

Food was good, mostly tapas/sharing type items. Think MPC Public, but not quite as innovative to my uneducated palate (this is not a put down at all: I rank MPC Public quite highly for local fare).

(09-01-2014, 01:22 PM)Spokes Wrote: Do they have a menu posted somewhere?

I found their website and it includes a menu.

Gilt Restaurant Website
Nice to see a menu that's not "same old, same old".
(10-14-2014, 05:41 PM)Shawn Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 01:22 PM)Spokes Wrote: Do they have a menu posted somewhere?

I found their website and it includes a menu.

Gilt Restaurant Website

Thanks!  Glad to see they've updated it since opening
Finally got in to Gilt for dinner.  Interesting small plates menu.  Too much paper describing their beverage selections, imho.  Bar makes a decent Manhattan.  The space looks good.  Noise levels are high but not oppressive.  Staff seem well informed and friendly.  Food is good, although I'm not sure (yet) where I would rank it compared to Public and the recently opened Belmont in Belmont Village. I would not hesitate to recommend it as a higher-end Downtown option.
I stopped in for Brunch and got the Spicy Chicken and waffles and its was fantastic, wait staff was attentive and the ambiance was nice. As I'm close(Kaufman Lofts) I will probably frequent this place often as they serve a lot of craft beer
I'm heading in this week for the first time, and after reading all these posts I'm really excited! The owners are friends of mine from my hometown (Hespeler) and I ran into them over Oktoberfest and they invited me in. My old roommate also works there, and she said things have really started to pick up these last two weeks! Really promising for that corner of town. 

We went a few days after opening. Definitely nice ambiance, although they oddly have a couple of tables tucked down a narrow, dead-end corridor - very glad we weren't seated in there.

We had high expectations for the food, and were mildly disappointed. My wife's cocktail was unpleasant, and upon pointing this out there was no apology or offer to replace it with something else. Some of the dishes were exceptionally bland (Beer Braised Cauliflower, Beer Battered Edible Flowers), but others were quite good (Ceviche, Duck Confit Steam Buns). It's very clear where they're aiming, but they didn't quite hit it. Some of this is probably just working the kinks out immediately after opening and I'm certainly willing to give them another try.
I haven't been here yet but I really think Gilt and Pure have added an attractive street presence to 305 King st West.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »