Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ODC redevelopment (119 Roger St) | 6 fl | U/C
I would suggest they better align the widest of the five paths for the cut-across pedestrian traffic, because the grass where it doesn't have a good angle *will* get trampled pretty instantaneously. I'd also suggest you could get out the narrower pair, and make more use of the greenery there. Those two footpaths serve no desire lines, they just chew up greenery. I guess I should caveat that with, does the central one go to where the crosswalks are? If the crosswalks are set back extremely far (and you really DO need to have an actual crosswalk for Roger over Moore now), then depending on crosswalk alignment, you get rid of either the central, or the two adjacent-to-central footpaths.

I'm getting a bit tired of how many crosswalks are set so far back from the intersection. On one hand, for drivers, it makes left turning vehicles which enter the intersection create space for more cars behind them to feel that they should enter as well. Then you get a driver who can't turn left until it's red, and 2-3 vehicles turning left on a red light to clear the intersection, instead of only 2 or just 1. For pedestrians, it lengthens your route, whether crossing one or two intersections. It also accommodates unsafe, larger turning radii, with traffic posts often blocking sight of the pedestrians about to step onto the road when you're turning right, and you're now turning at a higher speed. As well, in all areas but especially view-obstructed places like Roger and Moore, a car cannot safely turn right from the stop line. They theoretically have to stop, then pull forward to be able to see if it is safe, potentially wait for clearance, and then finally go. It takes a longer time for them, and they often block the crosswalk. They also now use the far crosswalk line instead of the stop line as their stop line, blowing right into a crosswalk that a pedestrian would assume they would stop at the line for. I really don't understand why we have such large intersections.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by timc - 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by nms - 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by urbd - 10-04-2017, 09:33 PM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by urbd - 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by nms - 10-16-2017, 12:36 PM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by urbd - 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by urbd - 06-25-2018, 01:54 PM
RE: Ontario Die Company (119 Roger St.) - by Viewfromthe42 - 06-21-2018, 01:26 PM