Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ODC redevelopment (119 Roger St) | 6 fl | U/C
I can only assume she is referring to the structure diagonal to the ODC property and directly across from her:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/155+Moo...38!6m1!1e1

So I don't think the development will block the view!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

That building is truly grotesque. I hate it so much.

But, anyway, she's referring to the buildings on Roger, not quite directly across the street from her side lot line, that ODC owns and would eventually be demolished.

I wish the author of the story would have thrown in a quote from someone in favour of redevelopment. He could find one. I'm not going to ask that they change the headline- I know that the actual fact of the matter ("Some residents opposed to plan for ODC lot, some in favour, most don't really care") wouldn't sell papers.
I think the "unsightly" homes would be the 7 owned by ODC adjacent to their site along Roger.

View-wise, both Roger and Moore would only have 3-storey townhomes on them, and the setback of the deeper-sited condo/apartment buildings (4-6 storeys) would not be visible from across the street at ground level, because the top of the street-fronting townhomes would be high enough to block view of the taller buildings in the back, much like how the entrance to Cafe1842/Huether Hotel in Uptown blocks out the view of the Princess Condos behind it.
(05-09-2017, 08:22 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That building is truly grotesque. I hate it so much.

But, anyway, she's referring to the buildings on Roger, not quite directly across the street from her side lot line, that ODC owns and would eventually be demolished.

I wish the author of the story would have thrown in a quote from someone in favour of redevelopment. He could find one. I'm not going to ask that they change the headline- I know that the actual fact of the matter ("Some residents opposed to plan for ODC lot, some in favour, most don't really care") wouldn't sell papers.

You can always send a letter in support of the rezoning proposal to the Record, in hopes that they print it.
Everyone is referring to the "view"... what view are we referring to here? It's not like these homes are on the edge of the escarpment or something.
There is no view to block, afaik, apart from the view of any new development from across the street/neighbouring properties. Some buildings in any new development might offer nice views of the cemetery, which might appeal to some.
"View" likely refers to nothing changing, or the fact that from across the street they would see a three-storey townhome which not all buildings in the neighbourhood are currently as tall as (though many are). "Change" is what is opposed here, by and large.

Will there be a traffic study conducted as part of the re-zoning consideration? Traffic, and the capacity of underground services, are the only two things that strike me as potentially arguing against a development of that scale on the site. Neighbours simply exclaiming "its too much" really doesn't persuade me.
It's unfortunate that the article doesn't mention the site's proximity to LRT and that rapid transit would be a short walk away for this development's residents. Intensification near stations is to be anticipated and expected.
This site has only one neighbour, after the last house ODC owns on Roger. The cemetary and Roger and Moore are the other boundaries. It's certainly reasonable to ask about the utilities' ability to handle this development (and we've seen private developers pay for upgrades around University and Albert when they didn't quite have the capacity), and to ask about traffic expectations, but even if this site had 300 vehicles, spread across a 3h morning and evening "rush" and pushing traffic down any of the four minor collector directions available (Roger and Moore North South East and West), it would represent one car every 2 minutes. I'm guessing traffic studies would show much higher numbers, but with ION, Spur line, and all the extremely close employers, you're not likely to get a disastrous amount of traffic there.

I myself would love to buy there, and I can promise in advance that (with carshare present) I will not bring a car ;-)
A traffic study was commissioned by the consultant making the application. Its findings are included in the application.

The business writer could definitely have mentioned that this is very close to the GRH Ion station, and that redevelopment near the station is one of the biggest anticipated benefits of our $1 billion public investment in LRT…
As someone that lives across from the Victoria Commons development I think the scale proposed for the ODC redevelopment would work well. Lousia, St. Leger and Blucher does offer more access options but it's also a much bigger development. With LRT and Spur Line at the ODC doorstep this is great spot for increased density.
The property has been listed for sale. $1.5 million for 1.26 acres.

This is not the same property.
D'oh! Sorry about that, that was silly of me. You're absolutely right, this is up the street closer to Weber (across from Petro Can).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »